1989 Exocaged Jeep Cherokee - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > General Discussion Forums > Members Camaros and Firebirds > Members Cars (Not F-Bodies)

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 12-23-2017, 11:37 PM   #1
Token Firebird Owner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

1989 Exocaged Jeep Cherokee

Bought it in the beginning of July this year. This is one of the many delays to my Firebird build.

1989 Cherokee. Exocaged, front long arms, 35" tires, 4.88 gears, lockers front and rear, 1 ton steering, lift, removable doors, AC converted to onboard air, etc. etc. etc.

CLICK HERE FOR PICS

It's kind of a pile so I've been working on it and getting things for it here and there.

When I went to test drive it, the rear differential blew up and spit chunks out of the cover immediately after making a 3 point turn in front of the guys garage (hadn't even gotten out of the apartment complex). Guy sold it to me for about half my offer price after that. First thing it needed was a new carrier and ring and pinion. Towed it to a mechanic about an hour away and had him install a new 4.88 R&P and a Yukon Grizzly locker with the money saved. After spending almost a whole weekend driving it to my parents compound in the high desert (have to break in the ring and pinion and carrier with a certain procedure that made a 120 mile trip take 2 whole days), I found most everything that it needed to be relatively safe to drive and got to work. Next important thing to be fixed was new rear springs. Repainted the cage where it had been bashed/left unpainted from the PO and replaced the drivers side mirror with one that wasn't cracked. Installed some 4.5" lift leaf springs (pictured) to replace the sagging and slipping bastard pack (add-a-leaf) springs that it had which were dangerously close to hitting the tires. Next up, replace steering box/pump (box makes popping noise and steering wheel turning is almost entirely dead spot), install reinforced steering box spacer/bracket (stock bracket - can't be good for wheelin), replace 100% shot tie rod ends or entire 1 ton steering setup with a ton+ setup I picked up for cheap, and replace the dented gas tank, install a factory gas tank skid plate, install new rear diff cover, and fix gauge cluster issues (lighting circuit issue and non-functional speedometer). There's plenty more to work on, but I'm taking it one step at a time and listed just the major replacement parts I have waiting to go in at this time. Going to eventually repaint it with this color (cans already purchased and ready to go).

Here's a pic taken by the previous owner. More pics at the link above.

Last edited by ZexGX; 12-23-2017 at 11:52 PM.
ZexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2017, 06:23 PM   #2
CZ Vendor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZexGX View Post
Bought it in the beginning of July this year. This is one of the many delays to my Firebird build.

1989 Cherokee. Exocaged, front long arms, 35" tires, 4.88 gears, lockers front and rear, 1 ton steering, lift, removable doors, AC converted to onboard air, etc. etc. etc.

CLICK HERE FOR PICS

It's kind of a pile so I've been working on it and getting things for it here and there.

When I went to test drive it, the rear differential blew up and spit chunks out of the cover immediately after making a 3 point turn in front of the guys garage (hadn't even gotten out of the apartment complex). Guy sold it to me for about half my offer price after that. First thing it needed was a new carrier and ring and pinion. Towed it to a mechanic about an hour away and had him install a new 4.88 R&P and a Yukon Grizzly locker with the money saved. After spending almost a whole weekend driving it to my parents compound in the high desert (have to break in the ring and pinion and carrier with a certain procedure that made a 120 mile trip take 2 whole days), I found most everything that it needed to be relatively safe to drive and got to work. Next important thing to be fixed was new rear springs. Repainted the cage where it had been bashed/left unpainted from the PO and replaced the drivers side mirror with one that wasn't cracked. Installed some 4.5" lift leaf springs (pictured) to replace the sagging and slipping bastard pack (add-a-leaf) springs that it had which were dangerously close to hitting the tires. Next up, replace steering box/pump (box makes popping noise and steering wheel turning is almost entirely dead spot), install reinforced steering box spacer/bracket (stock bracket - can't be good for wheelin), replace 100% shot tie rod ends or entire 1 ton steering setup with a ton+ setup I picked up for cheap, and replace the dented gas tank, install a factory gas tank skid plate, install new rear diff cover, and fix gauge cluster issues (lighting circuit issue and non-functional speedometer). There's plenty more to work on, but I'm taking it one step at a time and listed just the major replacement parts I have waiting to go in at this time. Going to eventually repaint it with this color (cans already purchased and ready to go).

Here's a pic taken by the previous owner. More pics at the link above.
Awesome !! Looks like a cool project.
Rear end exploded? Sounds like the differential was welded (locked full time)?

High Desert? I Grew up in Lancaster (I believe I have mentioned this in the past).

Good luck on the repair and build

2001 Camaro SS LS1, M6
SLP Build #1040
"Concert Hall On Wheels"
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
http://www.ercmannscaraudio.com/
10% OFF LIFETIME Site-Wide Discount Code at ErcsAudio, for ALL CZ Members!! Enter Code CZ10LIFE at checkout!
https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f18/erics-01-ss-
mod-thread-178452/
https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f27...m-poll-180546/
Ercmann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4, cherokee, jeep, project