Monsoon Upgrade - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > Appearance and Car Care

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 11-24-2008, 12:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Monsoon Upgrade

I just bought a '99 Firebird with the Monsoon sound system. I love the car, but considering one of the bass speakers in blown, not so much the stereo. I'm curious to know what sound system improvements people here have made. I don't have the money to go to extremes, but I would like to replace the bass speakers, and the front speakers, and was wondering what specific speakers people have tried and are happy with. Also I would love to have a direct iPod connection to the thing, but considering there is no aux. on the head unit, that looks a little difficult from what I've read without buying a new head unit.

Essentially, what can I do with around $300 to upgrade the sound and possibly get my iPod wired in?
fanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2008, 01:23 AM   #2
drop top cruzer
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

heres some links that should help you out, and as far as the ipod goes just buy a radio antenna adapter, it plugs into you antenna wire on the radio and then plug you ipod into the converter box.
Scosche FM-MOD01 Modulator Play your iPod, satellite radio tuner, or other portable music player through any FM car stereo at Crutchfield.com

you can usually get these at walmart or any place that sells car audio stuff

https://www.camarozone.com/f26/audio-...ommended-3184/

https://www.camarozone.com/f26/some-g...-faq-etc-3185/

F-Body of The Month September 2008
fbodyrs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

I just recently upgraded the speakers in my monsoon system. You only have a few choices when you want direct replacement speakers. I went with 2 infinity kappa 6.5" coaxial speakers wired as components for the doors and 2 elemental designs eu-700 6.5" subs for the sail panel (rear seat) and left the far rear midrange stock. These speakers made an amazing improvement over stock. I didn't want to have the added weight of 2 10" subs in the back of my car, so I put in these. They make awesome bass and you cant even tell theres anything done to the system. The only thing you will need if you go with these is a 1/2" spacer because of how much deeper they are than the stock ones. Other than that, all the speakers I mentioned above are direct replacement, wiring and everything.

If you want to look for other brands, thing you have to remember is the monsoon system is all 2 ohm except the front and rear tweeters and the far rear midrange. They are powered off the head unit at 4 ohm. The front midbass speakers are wired 2 ohm off the 500 watt monsoon amp. The sail panel subs are 4ohm DVC (dual voice-coil) wired in parallel to pull 2 ohms, also powered off the amp. The amp is located in the far rear passenger side compartment behind the spare tire. You have a 99, so your car was prewired for a cd changer. You can find the wire for it in the rear drivers side cubby hole under the carpet wrapped in foam. You can buy an aftermarket cd changer to connect to it(Ac Delco makes one that will work, not sure of other brands), or PAC makes an adapter that will allow you to connect your ipod via the cd changer wire.
*Note: this is for a firebird coupe, verts are a little different as well as camaro coupes and convertibles.

I hope this helped and if you need anymore info let me know

Last edited by CincyBird98; 11-24-2008 at 04:55 PM.
CincyBird98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2008, 08:17 AM   #4

That helped a lot, thank you.

Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look at the speakers you suggested and I probably won't worry about replacing the back two either. I found the wire you talked about, but on my CD player, there is no aux. button or anything suggesting a CD changer. I'm wondering if they put the wire there but my head unit doesn't support that input? The only thing I can think of is that you have to press the "CD/Play" button twice?
Old 11-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanfan View Post
That helped a lot, thank you.

Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look at the speakers you suggested and I probably won't worry about replacing the back two either. I found the wire you talked about, but on my CD player, there is no aux. button or anything suggesting a CD changer. I'm wondering if they put the wire there but my head unit doesn't support that input? The only thing I can think of is that you have to press the "CD/Play" button twice?
Hmm. They gave the head units the ability to control the cd changer in late 99(Im not sure of the exact month). So check your door jam to see when your car was built. If it was built in early 99, then you will have to get a head unit from a later model. The only head units that could work the cd changer in 98-early 99 were the ones with casette players.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:23 PM   #6

It's a late '98 actually. So I guess not. I heard a pair of those kappas the other day and I liked them. Thanks for the recommendation on the subs, but do you know of anything that sounds good and will fit without sticking out?
Old 12-14-2008, 09:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've only heard of one other one and its a 6.5" DVC by bazooka. It apparently doesn't need a spacer and is a direct fit. I haven't seen anywhere that sells them except for a vendor on ls1tech.

Just so you know though, the ed subs are pretty easy to install and you cant even notice a difference in them sticking out more.
Heres the install guide I used: write up: How to replace the stock subs with eu700s - LS1 Performance Information (you dont need to drill a hole in the car like they say. I just made a 1/2" spacer and put some dynamat down and they worked out perfectly)

Tags
ipod, monsoon, speakers, upgrade