AMSOIL Power Foam - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Vendors > Vendor Deals

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 03-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
Token Firebird Owner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Thumbs up AMSOIL Power Foam

AMSOIL Power Foam is the AMSOIL version of MOPAR Combustion Chamber Cleaner (which is now discontinued). It is like SeaFoam, except it comes in an aerosol can and literally foams up when you spray it on something. Because of it's foaming nature, it is much more difficult (nearly impossible) to hydrolock your engine (unlike SeaFoam, which is a pure liquid) because of the ratio of air/liquid, rather than just straight liquid. I was looking for MOPAR CCC but it has been discontinued and was out of stock at all the dealerships that I called. One of the dealership guys told me over the phone "people have been calling me from all over the country trying to find that stuff." and when asked if they had any alternatives: "there is nothing in my system that shows up as an alternative to that. The only thing I can say is to give Chrysler a call."

Thus, the search began for an alternative.

I ordered a can of AMSOIL Power Foam from Superman the day before yesterday. It shipped out yesterday from Las Vegas, and arrived at my door today. Fast shipping!!

Cliff notes:
It makes your engine quieter and run smoother. It also cleans the inside of the intake manifold and the combustion chamber. You can also use it as a petroleum based degreaser.

Long story:
I drove the car gently until it got up to operating temp. Parked it at home so that the exhaust was blowing downwind from the engine bay, the interior, and the camera. While the car was running, I shook the Power Foam can to mix everything up, unplugged the PCV valve from the port on the side of the LS1 throttle body, and stuck the straw in there and started spraying. Every 15 to 30 seconds I would stop spraying, shake the can, reinsert the straw, and continue spraying and repeated this until the can was empty. Once the can was empty, I shut the car off and let it sit for 30-40 minutes. Turned the car on and let it idle. There was little to no smoke at first. After a quick low-RPM rev, it started smoking, misfiring, and threw a P0300 error code, and the Service Engine light flashed for a couple minutes (OH NOES!). I let it sit like that for about 5-10 minutes, giving it a tiny rev every now and then. After about 10 more minutes it was still smoking (but the SES light was no longer flashing), so I gave it even more gas a few times over the course of a few more minutes, all while letting it sit for a few minutes in between revs. Eventually the smoke started lessening until the point where there was none. I packed up the camera and went for a test drive where all was good. Cleared the P0300 SES light on the drive and the code did not return. Drove home, popped the hood, gave it a few quick revs from the throttle body and listened for new noises, and found none. The low-RPM light-throttle scratchy noise that it used to have is now gone, though.

Pics & Vids Soon™

Last edited by ZexGX; 03-11-2010 at 09:09 PM.
ZexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Send a message via AIM to xKellyxVeitx
Not sure if I'm allowed to post this here, but how much does this stuff cost? How much can we treat with it? Is it just internal engine, or can we use it for injectors and the crankcase?
xKellyxVeitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
Always Watching...
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Send a message via AIM to Superman
Thank you Zex for posting a review!

For those that would like more information:
AMSOIL - Power Foam Engine Cleaner & Degreaser (APF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKellyxVeitx View Post
Not sure if I'm allowed to post this here, but how much does this stuff cost? How much can we treat with it? Is it just internal engine, or can we use it for injectors and the crankcase?
I'm working on prices right now. Shouldn't be more than $16 for a can shipped to your door. Depending on location the price may go down (shipping rates/taxes vary by location), but no more than $16.

PM me if you'd like to try it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96FBird View Post
... and for that Superman wins the internets
Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 11:26 PM   #4
Token Firebird Owner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

It's designed to be sprayed into the intake of a car, or on a very very dirty engine block. It says not to be used on vehicles with MAF sensors (because the directions say spray it through a filterless intake) but I just bypassed the MAF by injecting it through the PCV line. V6 cars can just use the brake booster hose. It is not a fuel system treatment like SeaFoam. AMSOIL has their own fuel system treatment (I think it's called Performance Enhancer?) that cleans the injectors.
ZexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:33 PM   #5
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Korndogg
See other thread for fuel additives.

Last edited by Korndogg; 03-11-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Korndogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amsoil, cleaner, engine cleaner, mccc