Vararam Power Wedge LS3 - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > Camaro & Firebird Tech Forums > 5th Gen (2010+) Camaro Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 03-19-2018, 01:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Vararam Power Wedge LS3

My review of the product.
Car: Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 2014 L99
Tire Size: front, 275/40r20 & rear 315/35r20
fatter tires but factory height run at 40 psi
Upgrades: Diablo Sport i2 93 octane tune with the hard shift for the transmission, K&N air filter, Airaid modular intake tube part #250-914
Average: 18.2 mpg in town, average speed 23.6 mph
Low 60's in the morning and by afternoon low 80's.
Average after the Vararam Power Wedge LS3 install:
17.5 mpg in town, average speed 21.1 mph, low 40's in the morning and by afternoon low 60's.
I fill the Camaro up at 3/4 empty and drive the same route everyday. I filled up twice and recorded the average between the two for each test. The average speed for where I live is 40 to 45 mph in town. So you can see I sit in traffic a bit. I do not use the vehicle's A/C system at all.
I did notice a quicker/smoother throttle response right from the start. I didn't notice this from a stand still but when I was driving and gave it more throttle. For me, I felt it around the 1,200 RPM (40 mph) or higher range. I did not notice any difference in the exhaust sound.
My vehicle make 400hp factory. If this product does help throttle response, it is worth it, I can feel it. I am sure the Vararam Power Wedge LS3 helps achieve the 400hp quicker. This product was worth the $69 it sell for. I wish I had access to a Dyno so I could post some numbers...I live in Brevard County FL and do not know of one in County.
I now have to save up some cash so I can test Vararam's ram air system for this vehicle.
Camaro2SS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2018, 07:46 PM   #2

So I reset my computer to factory settings and drove around for 300 miles.
I reinstalled the above mentioned Diablo tune and then drove around for another 300 miles.
Same as before, 3/4 empty twice then take an average, etc.
19.3 mpg around town driving.
24.6 mph average.
That's 1.1 mpg increase.
I'll perform a highway trip soon.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Camaro Zone mobile app
Old 05-31-2018, 08:20 PM   #3

Ok, I just added the BBK tuned length headers and I had the factory resonator removed. In place of the resonator I had 2.5" straight pipes installed. I reset the computer as mentioned above and followed the same steps. There has been no new update from Diablo since the last post so the tune is the same.
>18.6 mpg around town driving.
That is a decrease of .7 mpg around town driving. I will do a highway test, hopefully, and then post what I record. After that...I will head back to the muffler shop and have an H-pipe installed.
I am building the car more for around town and lower RPM speed, so long tube headers and an X-pipe are not needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2018, 11:05 AM   #4

I followed the same as before mentioned reset methods.
On the highway I received approximately 23 mpg with the straight pipes.

I think on my around town driving mpg average harsh. The Camaro made what felt like no power until 45/50 mph. Due to this I was much harder on my acceleration. I believe this caused me to have the lower average around town mpg.

I have now added an H-pipe. I made sure a 2.5" pipe was used.
I can tell you this, lower RPM power has returned. The Camaro feels smoother and the high pitched exhaust note is gone. Also, the car became quite again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Camaro Zone mobile app
Old 06-26-2018, 11:43 AM   #5

Same reset as mentioned before.
24.7 mph average
19.6 mpg with the addition of the H-pipe during around town driving.
I just added the Phasetek Cold Air Scoop # 83115. I do not have a cold air intake system on my car. I still have the factory airbox except I cut the underside out only exposing the section by the fender where the air will be blowing upward. The other side of the box is acting as my heat shield and I still retain that factory stock look. Having installed this, I no longer have the factory windshield washer fluid bottle. If this makes any gain in mpg while driving around town, I will make a note.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:49 PM   #6

Same reset method as mentioned before.

I set my cruise control to 72 mph when I performed these tests. Of course I was not able to 100% of the time maintain this speed and there was a very small amount of in town driving included (driving from gas station to highway and from highway to the house). I filled up at the same gas station and drove home the same way. I drove approximately 1 mile from the gas station to the highway at a speed of approximately 40 mph. I drove home from the highway approximately 8 miles at a speed of approximately 45 mph.
I received an average of 24.3 mpg.

My next upgrades will be the FAST 102mm intake manifold with the 95mm BBK throttle body. I do intend to start losing gas mileage with these upgrades. How much of a loss is unknown but will be documented.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #7

I removed the H-pipe and replaced it with an X-pipe. I am now 18.8 mpg around town and 24.1 mpg on the highway. Down low power, the H-pipe I felt did better. I had more pull from lower RPM then I do with the X-pipe. While not performing the MPG test, I did drive 90 mph and very smoothly/quickly made it to 122 mph. The X-pipe is much better for higher RPM speeds over any of the others. For a daily driver that's not built over the top, shorty tuned headers with an H-pipe seems to work better. The X-pipe I would say is if you are driving more on the highway or have a higher horsepower car. Long tube headers I will assume will be better for the second build and horrible for a daily driver.