Car turned off - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 08-24-2018, 07:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car turned off

I need help figuring out a problem I have with my 1997 Camaro RS 3800 series 2. I was driving and turning into a store parking lot when the car turned off and the dash stopped working. When I attempted to start the car again I noticed the dash wasn’t working at all and the car just will not turn or even try to turn over. I need help figuring this problem out.
RSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2018, 10:34 AM   #2
CZ Vendor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSman View Post
I need help figuring out a problem I have with my 1997 Camaro RS 3800 series 2. I was driving and turning into a store parking lot when the car turned off and the dash stopped working. When I attempted to start the car again I noticed the dash wasn’t working at all and the car just will not turn or even try to turn over. I need help figuring this problem out.
The "first" thing to always check when there is an electrical problem is the fuses. Check all fuses to make sure they are good. If they are, then the next step. Check the battery connections. Run through the steps of turning on the ignition, any lights, then try starting the engine. Still nothing?

Check list:
Check battery for voltage and connections, making sure both connections are secure.
Alternator could have failed. This will cause the engine to die and not restart. If the alt died while driving and driver unaware, the car will use the battery to run electrical stuff until the battery gets so low the engine will die. This happened to me in my 2001 Camaro SS on a trip from Arkansas to North Carolina. AND, could not even be jumped. Mechanic said it's a newer vehicle thing. If the battery is low and the alt stopped working the engine will die and not restart. He was correct in my situation cause a new alt cured the issue. If alt and battery check ok.

If these check out to be ok, then check the electrical ignition switch, under the dash above the steering column. This will also cause your symptoms.

2001 Camaro SS LS1, M6
SLP Build #1040
"Concert Hall On Wheels"
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
http://www.ercmannscaraudio.com/
10% OFF LIFETIME Site-Wide Discount Code at ErcsAudio, for ALL CZ Members!! Enter Code CZ10LIFE at checkout!
https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f18/erics-01-ss-
mod-thread-178452/
https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f27...m-poll-180546/

Last edited by Ercmann; 08-25-2018 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections
Ercmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:01 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I had it looked at by a mechanic and it turned out to be the ignition was fried. Thank You for giving a checklist to look over. Now if it ever happen again which it shouldnt now, I’ll know what to look for.
RSman is offline   Reply With Quote