Newer cars and fidgety controls - Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News

Go Back   Camaro Zone - Camaro Forums and News > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools

Old 04-28-2015, 05:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Garage
Newer cars and fidgety controls

Do you notice in some newer model cars, especially like Toyotas, all the controls are very jumpy?

I took my girlfriend's Rav to work the last couple of days because of the rain. Got a cold air intake about 6" off the ground, so puddles are not my friend! But when I'm driving it, I notice if I just give a little adjustment to the steering, the power steering kicks in a moment later and jerks the car to the side. At least compared to my truck & Camaro, both older. Also, the accelerator and the brakes do the same thing. The brakes go from almost no pressure to jerking me forward in my seat with just a slight press.

Is some of this the fly-by-wire systems manufacturers are starting to use? Does this account for SUV rollovers? lol. Just curious if other people notice this, too. Makes me want to go cruise around in my Camaro so I don't get used to the Toyota!
FoaRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2015, 05:17 PM   #2
Always Watching...
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Send a message via AIM to Superman
Old vs new technology. Response time is much better the newer a vehicle is... generally.

I personally love steering that's super sensitive. I hated that you basically needed to turn the steering wheel in an Fbody like you're driving a bus.

Some brake/accelerator pedals do take some getting used to though. I personally don't like my wife's Scion tC's gas pedal. It almost seems to stick, so when you tap on it, the car "lunges"...sorta.

It is what it is. Nothing 'wrong' with newer vehicles.

Just makes me appreciate not driving an old Fbody anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96FBird View Post
... and for that Superman wins the internets
Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:29 PM   #3
CZ Vendor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
Old vs new technology. Response time is much better the newer a vehicle is... generally.

I personally love steering that's super sensitive. I hated that you basically needed to turn the steering wheel in an Fbody like you're driving a bus.

Some brake/accelerator pedals do take some getting used to though. I personally don't like my wife's Scion tC's gas pedal. It almost seems to stick, so when you tap on it, the car "lunges"...sorta.

It is what it is. Nothing 'wrong' with newer vehicles.

Just makes me appreciate not driving an old Fbody anymore.
To Add to this, A Lot of newer cars have gone to Electronic Steering. This also makes a difference. As Superman said, new technology vs old. Also, a lot can effect brake performance besides technology..... Worn out parts. I bet if you were to replace ALL brake parts in an f-Body with new parts, the brakes would perform quite well. And I mean ALL new parts, brake booster and brake master cylinder, rotors and pads, calipers, brake lines with fresh fluid.

Posted from iPhone 5s using Camaro Zone Mobile App

2001 Camaro SS LS1, M6
SLP Build #1040
"Concert Hall On Wheels"
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
http://www.ercmannscaraudio.com/
10% OFF LIFETIME Site-Wide Discount Code at ErcsAudio, for ALL CZ Members!! Enter Code CZ10LIFE at checkout!
https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f18/erics-01-ss-
mod-thread-178452/
https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f27...m-poll-180546/
Ercmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Garage
Yup, Superman sums it up pretty well. My Roush has electronic steering you can adjust the feel of the wheel. I prefer having sharp and responsive steering though on long highway trips it's nice to dial it back to make a bit more comfortable for lane changes ect.
Though it does have some lag in the drive by wire throttle. Something that I'm surprised about but it is well documented in the 5.0s, and a tune straightens it right out.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:23 PM   #5
Addicted Member

Garage
Newer cars and fidgety controls

Some cars I prefer electric power steering, while some cars I prefer traditional power steering and some cars I prefer no power steering lol. Like mentioned above, you just have to adapt to the car
But no matter what vehicle it is, I like a quick turning vehicle.

-December 2014 COTM winner!

1999 Firebird Build Thread
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:50 AM   #6

Garage
Haha it sounds like I've been stuck driving my F-body too long! This was my first car, and my older sister had it before me. We used to call it "the tank" back in the day...
FoaRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:23 PM   #7
Token Firebird Owner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Parents have a new Kia Optima Turbo with literally all of the uplevel options available. Has what feels like electric power steering and it is uncomfortably twitchy and it takes much more effort to keep the car pointed straight down the road in a smooth manner. Didn't look at the owners manual to see if it's adjustable.
ZexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Garage
Some of the new stuff is nice, but some of it is like zex said, its twitchy.

Sent from my Z796C using Camaro Zone mobile app

98 z28 artic white. ls1, auto, free mods, slp lid, ¡egr, ¡air, ls6 intake manifold, walbro 255lph fuel pump, ceramic coated pacesetter longtube headers, pacesetter ory, magnaflow catback, 4.10:1 gears. 9.03 1/8th mile with factory 2.73s and 30psi fuel pressure.

02 firebird sunset orange metallic. v6, auto, slp lid, zzp tubing, port matched upper and lower intake manifolds.

98 z28 build thread.
https://www.camarozone.com/forum/f14/...-build-182636/
94z28 is offline   Reply With Quote