Camaro Zone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get a street/strip or a aggressive camshaft for the 3.4? I have looked all over but can't find one. if there is already a thread on this topic please point me in the right direction,I'm a noob to this forum.

Sent from my HTC One V using Camaro Zone mobile app

·
LS Swap It Brah!
4,730 Posts
I have yet to see someone cam a 3.4. I have seen plenty do so with the 3.8. The general consensus is to not really mod the 3.4 cars beyond bolt ons. I just did a small search and haven't been able to really come up with anything.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
There are TONS of cams for the 3.4...you just have to search for them differently...

That whole platform of V6 is listed under the 2.8 V6, so do a search from there....like this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl16-233-4/overview/ (this cam isn't computer controlled, but you get the idea)

I have a few links around here for some guys that cut cams for it, but I'd have to search through all my bookmarks...I will find if you are seriously interested...

A few problems with building a 2.8/3.1/3.4 motor...

1) All they did was bore the block out all the way up from 2.8. Same heads, same cam, same lifters, same rockers, same everything except pistons and rings, so look for performance parts under 2.8 if you need to...

2) The heads are the absolute weakest link in the chain...they don't breath well at all...port them well. After that, address the intake manifold (get it ported too).

3) The injectors are only good to 160 HP...guess what the stock HP numbers for the 3.4 are?

4) The bottom ends are really stout and can take a fair amount of boost. There are some articles and videos about guys putting over 12 lbs of boost on a stock 2.8 and getting well over 250 HP out of them.

They are fun little motors, and being that they are 60* they have better internal balancing then the 4.3...just less aftermarket...

I'm in the process of blueprinting a 3.4 with an M90 supercharger to put in a 1977 Fiat Spyder...

Reactions: ZexGX

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Wow thanks for all the information,I just learned more then I do in a week In school.
You can also make a hybrid motor out of it...pull the heads off of a 3400 V6 front wheel drive motor (along with intakes), as well as an injector change, and the motor is capable of up to 250 HP naturally aspirated...

Reactions: ZexGX

·
Registered
2,205 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Budget is a low one,around $800 for rebuild.The engines got 200k on it,so I'm planning on rebuilding the engine. Then hopefully p&p heads, and running nitrous on it.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Budget is a low one,around $800 for rebuild.The engines got 200k on it,so I'm planning on rebuilding the engine. Then hopefully p&p heads, and running nitrous on it.

How savvy are you at building an engine? I'm only asking so I know where I'm at when I discuss this stuff and know what to suggest to you...

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Pretty new,I know the basics and am still learning but I have a good grasp on it.it would be my first engine rebuild.
Alright, you might need a little more money to build it right...especially if you want to port the heads.

The cam's you are looking for for the 3.4 w/ FI are found here:

A.R.I. Engines GM 60-degree V6 - Stock & Performance Camshaft Kits

The way to build this engine to the maximum is doable (and fairly cheap), but probably a little bit more complicated than a novice should undertake...

That being said, the laundry list is as follows:

Heads and intake manifolds (upper and lower) off of a 3400 V6 FWD
3400 throttle body
3400 pistons
3400 head gaskets
3500 intake manifold gaskets
19# or 22# injectors off of a Grand Prix (depending on power output wanted)
Computer tune

3500 heads and intake are a little better, but are A) harder to find and B) are a tight fit on a forth gen to shut the hood...

I've been looking into getting pistons re-cut to lower CR a little more as the motor above will have around 12:1 CR

These engines have been known to put out a ridiculous amount of power but don't get much love among the LTx/LSx crowd, lol

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Alright, you might need a little more money to build it right...especially if you want to port the heads.

The cam's you are looking for for the 3.4 w/ FI are found here:

A.R.I. Engines GM 60-degree V6 - Stock & Performance Camshaft Kits

The way to build this engine to the maximum is doable (and fairly cheap), but probably a little bit more complicated than a novice should undertake...

That being said, the laundry list is as follows:

Heads and intake manifolds (upper and lower) off of a 3400 V6 FWD
3400 throttle body
3400 pistons
3400 head gaskets
3500 intake manifold gaskets
19# or 22# injectors off of a Grand Prix (depending on power output wanted)
Computer tune

3500 heads and intake are a little better, but are A) harder to find and B) are a tight fit on a forth gen to shut the hood...

I've been looking into getting pistons re-cut to lower CR a little more as the motor above will have around 12:1 CR

These engines have been known to put out a ridiculous amount of power but don't get much love among the LTx/LSx crowd, lol
After all that, added, how much power would you be seeing?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Cars with that setup have run 250-260 HP N/A...considering it's nothing but stock parts from other stock engines, I would say 100 HP is pretty nice, lol

Parts can be found at a boneyard...heads will run about $140 a set, the intakes are about $80, the injectors will vary but are usually around $5 a piece...may need to use LSx valve springs...

Machine work should be done...

The bottom end on the 3.4 runs the same rods as a SBC...some of the later V6 (for FWD) run forged internals...stock...you can boost the crap out of these things...

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Cars with that setup have run 250-260 HP N/A...considering it's nothing but stock parts from other stock engines, I would say 100 HP is pretty nice, lol

Parts can be found at a boneyard...heads will run about $140 a set, the intakes are about $80, the injectors will vary but are usually around $5 a piece...may need to use LSx valve springs...

Machine work should be done...

The bottom end on the 3.4 runs the same rods as a SBC...some of the later V6 (for FWD) run forged internals...stock...you can boost the crap out of these things...
What sort of machine work are we talking?

1 - 20 of 92 Posts