Camaro Zone Forums banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Would the push rods,rockers,valve springs in the stock 3.4 camaro heads, fit the 3400 heads?
No, the rockers and springs out of the 3400 are far superior...full roller rocker and beehive springs.

The pushrods are 3400, I think, I'll have to look that up again...it's been awhile since I researched this motor combo, lol

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Aluminum Head Swap Info (with pics)

Read through this ENTIRELY!

Make sure you UNDERSTAND this entirely!

This swap isn't that hard, but it does get a little complicated.

If you still have any questions I will still be here, but the last time I got into a hybrid motor like this way like 2 years ago, and I know I'm forgetting to tell you some info on it...

This thread does a real good job of explaining all the in's and out's of not only the swap, but the myriad of changes one can make in the parts. The 2000+ heads are better then pre-2000 heads, but different then the 2003+ heads; so on and so forth...

John at WOT-Tech.com has made a business out of doing this swap and has made a ton of performance parts for it...you don't have to go "balls to the wall" with the swap to get a good performance boost, but if you did want to, he'd be the guy to see, lol

EDIT: Case in point about my info needing refreshing, the 3400 heads and 3400 pistons yield 9.6:1 compression...3500 heads with 3400 pistons come in around 9:1 CR...a cam with some tight LSA's would bleed off some static compression and make it very boost friendly...if you wanted to go that route...

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Difference in the engine builds. These are NOT my photos, just got them off the net to show you the difference...I believe these are from the guy John mentioned earlier, but don't quote me on that...3rd gen Firebird...

First picture is "stock" iron head...

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t87/forcedfirebird/Hybrid%20Build/100_3093.jpg

Second picture is the 3500 top end placed on the motor...you can clearly see the difference...

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t87/forcedfirebird/Hybrid Build/100_3108.jpg

That's like car pron to me...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
So do I have to get 3400 pistons to use with the 3400 heads, or can I just buy new 3.4 pistons. What will my CR be with 3400 heads and 3.4 pistons, and also 3400 heads with 3400 pistons?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
So do I have to get 3400 pistons to use with the 3400 heads, or can I just buy new 3.4 pistons. What will my CR be with 3400 heads and 3.4 pistons, and also 3400 heads with 3400 pistons?
3400 heads w/ 3.4 pistons = 12.56:1 CR

3400 heads w/ 3400 pistons = 9.5:1 CR

Big difference. The piston bore should be the same, but the 3400 pistons have an 8cc dish on top...not the best for quench and squish, but gets you on pump gas...

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
So what's the pros and cons to running at 12.56:1 CR?

Go hard or Go home
It's doable, the aluminum heads will take some of the headache out of the high compression but will only do so much...you may have to not only run high octane, but an octane booster as well...or methanol additive...depends on how high up the RPM band you go...

That and the tuning window on the ODB1 ECM is tighter than ODB2...

Honestly, the lower the CR the better/easier it will be on all your parts for a DD...and you will really only be losing a few horse power...

41 - 60 of 92 Posts