Camaro Zone Forums banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
So approximately how much HP would I make by putting in a A.R.I. Pro-Builder™ Hydraulic Lifter Camshaft Stage 2 camshaft?

A.R.I. Engines GM 60-degree V6 - Stock & Performance Camshaft Kits
Off the top of my head (and not knowing what tune or setup you were running)...conservatively about 230-240 HP... roughly 70-80 HP more than what you have now :D

I would need to fire up Desktop Dyno to give you a closer estimation...but I would also need the valve timing for that...

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
So that means you don't know,lol.
You asked for an approximation...I gave one...:dry:

I ran the numbers through Desktop Dyno...filled in with average numbers and cam timing...that cam with those lift numbers came up with 226 HP...not too far off from my estimation I would think...:ugly_gruebel:

There are a lot of absolutes that can change things...are you going to port the heads, the L/U intakes, go aftermarket ignition, increase timing, change the springs, change tune parameters, change the rocker ratio, bump compression, change plugs, run dual exhaust, run an open muffler, etc, etc, etc,...too many variables to tell you are are going to get exactly "XXX" HP...:dunno:

I know guys that put the "same" cam in the "same" motor and get two very different results...it all comes down to how you build it...

BTW, that Desktop Dyno number was derived from unported heads...ported bumped the numbers to 243 HP...

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
...Im lost now lol.
I'm sorry those motors made 200+ HP stock...I had the cam numbers stuck in my head, lol

The stock 3.4 made 160 HP, the stock 3400 FWD made between 200-210 HP depending on what it came out of...

Most cams bump 20-30 HP (strictly at top RPM range) with no modifications to any other part of the engine...so a 26 HP bump (with cam) on an otherwise stock engine setup was expected (the 226 number I gave you earlier)...

I have more in depth articles if you're up for a read, but they get complicated in places if you don't know engines...

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I have more in depth articles if you're up for a read, but they get complicated in places if you don't know engines...
I'd certainly be interested in giving them a read, if you could post them.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I'm sorry those motors made 200+ HP stock...I had the cam numbers stuck in my head, lol

The stock 3.4 made 160 HP, the stock 3400 FWD made between 200-210 HP depending on what it came out of...

Most cams bump 20-30 HP (strictly at top RPM range) with no modifications to any other part of the engine...so a 26 HP bump (with cam) on an otherwise stock engine setup was expected (the 226 number I gave you earlier)...

Oh I see now, 20-30 hp isn't to bad for a camshaft upgrade,figured it would only be around 5-15. What Desktop Dyno Program do you use?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Oh I see now, 20-30 hp isn't to bad for a camshaft upgrade,figured it would only be around 5-15. What Desktop Dyno Program do you use?
Camshaft's really are only good for 5-15 HP for around town driving...until you open them up is where the magic happens, lol

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I'd certainly be interested in giving them a read, if you could post them.
Here you go. These are some of the ones I have...I have others but these are the ones that cover all the info you'd need to get you camshaft savvy...

Basics:

http://www.musiccityrodshop.com/holpdf/undcam.pdf
Secrets Of Camshaft Power - Car Craft Magazine

Intermediate:

Camshaft Lobe Separation Angle Performance Test - Chevy High Performance Magazine All Pages
Factors that determine LSA? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech
What makes a cam lopey? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

In Depth:

Cam Design
Cam Performance

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've tried getting in contact with jegs for mine. They said there is no street/strip can for a 3.4, but I think they are wrong. I seen a cammed 3.4 on YouTube.

sent from my lg flex using camaro zone app

61 - 80 of 92 Posts