Camaro Zone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 1997 z28 that vibrates intensely when I start it up after it has been sitting for several hours.

It shakes when only in drive with foot on brake like in traffic and maybe reverse but never in nuetral or park
It sounds like it's rattling from the outside
The shake disappears after the car has warmed up or if I rev engine a few hundred rpms

Does anyone know any possible causes?
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
17 Posts
Could be lots of things. Have to do a few tests. Compressions, maybe head gasket issues?

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts
So I have a 1997 z28 that vibrates intensely when I start it up after it has been sitting for several hours.

It shakes when only in drive with foot on brake like in traffic and maybe reverse but never in nuetral or park
It sounds like it's rattling from the outside
The shake disappears after the car has warmed up or if I rev engine a few hundred rpms

Does anyone know any possible causes?
Thanks for any help
SES light on by any chance?
Is it misfiring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont think its head gaket issues, no coolant in oil or other way around.
I will look into a compression test

I do have 2 ses lights one is for a bad heater on a after cat o2 sensor so ive been putting it off

The other is code p0400 which I believe is for the egr valve. This code seems to stay away for a while after it gets cleared

No codes for missfires

Thanks

·
CZ's Turbo Gawd
7,943 Posts
Did this just start or had it been doing it for a while?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure how long it's been doing this I've only had the car a few months I think it's been doing it the whole time I've had it

·
Registered
204 Posts
vibration

Check the basics like plug wires plugs. Bad wires will leak spark to ground, some times when cold due to moisture. the when it dries up the problem goes away. Look at it at night or in a dark garage. look for little arcs around the wires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well I checked tonight and there didn't appear to be any arcing but it wasn't cold either
You can also pull your idle air control valve and check and see if the spring is good and clean. A nasty one will give you a rough idle and possibly want to shut off without revving it. Me and my neighbor had this issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check all parts of the EGR system. I had charcoal getting out of the canister and circulating up to the front of the system and clogging all the tubing etc. Had to replace the canister (it's behind drivers rear wheel) and blow out the system with air. I believe I also had to replace the EGR valve itself because it was all crudded up from charcoal too. IIRC I had the same symptoms.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts