Camarozone.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I own a 98 Camaro V6 3.8 where I managed to trash the auto transmission in the snow!!! :mad: I didn't realise these trannys were so delicate!!
Anyway, I need to replace it with a used box and being based in the UK parts like this are hard to come by. To increase my choice of boxes I wondered if the box from a 98-02 Pontiac Firebird V6 would fit without mods needing done? I already tried a 97 Camaro box which had a split belhousing, where mine is the one piece belhousing and it wouldn't fit, so had to return it. If someone could tell me for sure that the Firebird box will fit straight on that would be cool. I may have the chance of a box from an 02 V6 Firebird with low mileage from the scappies..

Regards
DS

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
yeah 98-02 v-6 fbodies are all the same drivetrain......be careful with the 4l60e trans (which you have) the are VERY delicate (as you put it) and dont like to be abused......

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
any V6 Automatic transmission from a 96-02 camaro or firebird will work.

should be alot of options seeing as I think about 2/3 of them were automatics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@96firephoenix
There seem to have been some design changes from 98 onwards!
I got hold of a 97 box, but it wouldn't fit due to the belhousing being the split type (mine is one piece) and the tail was about 1 inch shorter, so I had to send it back!
God knows about the electrics!
That's why I'm kinda wary about trannys from different years, but hoping the 98 design changes were the last!

Regards
DS

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
the 97 year IS different than the 98-02..ANY 4l60e from 98-02 v-6 will work

Reactions: Superman

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for that Blackbird, very much appreciated.
The reason I'm double checking everything is being based in the UK, these trannys are rare to find and the 02 Firebird V6 tranny I have located is at a dismantlers who don't do refunds, offer warranties or take returns!!
So I have to be sure that it is 100% compatible as its a lot of money to waste!
Altho someone on one of the other forums pointed out that there may have been some updates on the electrics, sensors removed or added etc. See quote below.

Quote "I'd say a Trans/gearbox from any 98-02 V6 F-Body (4L60E) should suit you just fine. But since you have a 98, I'd try to find a good '98 Transmission. Easier to swap and you won't find any wires deleted or added by the factory just for some little doohickey sensor they added for 1999, 2000, and so on.

It's a major reason 98 V8 cars and 99 V8 cars are almost as foreign to each other as the LT1 V8 cars from 93-97 are. All these little stupid things to meet emissions and the US NHTSA.. CAFE.."

As you obviously know your stuff Blackbird, any idea about that?

TIA
DS

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Oh god, another contradictory answer!

I posted this question a couple of days ago "Is a 2002 firebird V6 auto transmission interchangeable with a 98 Camaro V6 auto transmission without any mods?" here Answers.com - Is a 2002 firebird V6 auto transmission interchangeable with a 98 Camaro V6 auto transmission without any mods

Answer: NO. The transmissions are all together a different design. WON'T interchange.

Even tho the person that answered the question seems quite sure of his/her answer, I assume they're talking thru a hole in their head!!

Regards
DS

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
@96firephoenix
There seem to have been some design changes from 98 onwards!
I got hold of a 97 box, but it wouldn't fit due to the belhousing being the split type (mine is one piece) and the tail was about 1 inch shorter, so I had to send it back!
God knows about the electrics!
That's why I'm kinda wary about trannys from different years, but hoping the 98 design changes were the last!

Regards
DS
you're right about that, I didn't know about the changes in the housing. they are all the same on the inside, but the housings ARE different. the manuals are all the same, so I assumed that the automatics would be too.

you could do what I did when my automatic failed and change it to a manual :rock:

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
there is nothing different from 98-02s. I do agree that you should try to find a good 98 trans

as far as havin "extra doohickes" that all depends if your car has tracton control...Thats the only extra thing that i can think of being on there.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for that Blackbird, unfortunately, based in the UK my chances of finding a 98 tranny is near impossible. I only have a choice of two in the whole country, a 2000 Camaro tranny with 66K miles and the 2002 Firebird tranny with 28K miles and too expensive to import. At least my car doesn't have traction control.

@Firephoenix
How big a job is it converting an auto to manual, assuming I can get the bits?

Regards
DS

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
/\ its probilly gonna be harder for you to find all the parts you need to do the swap then making the swap itself based in the UK.....as far as difficulty level it all depends on YOUR skills and if you have the space to do the conversion...id say its a 5-6 out of 10 in difficulty

if you were to do the auto id go for the 2000 trans(closer in year)

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
assuming you can get all the parts, its fairly easy. its just a LOT of work. the single most difficult step IMO is switching out the pedals. getting the clutch master cylinder in place isn't all that easy either. you'll need: transmission (duh); clutch and brake pedal assembly; center console insert for manual transmission; clutch hydraulics; u-bolt for clutch master cylinder; transmission mount; clutch disk+pressure plate; flywheel+bolts; transmission crossmember and a PCM for manual transmission/v6 or an extensive tune.

I'd agree with the 5-6/10 difficulty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers for that info guys.
Think I'll stick to the auto tho and think I'll go for the 2000 tranny.
Only thing that bothers me about it is 66K miles is fairly high, I'd heard that autos can give problems at about 100K miles, any truth in that?

Regards
DS

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
all depends on how they were cared for and if they were beat on...66k isnt bad for a 00 trans.....i would reccomend a Trans Go shift kit, just to help with some of the issues they have...a couple things i would reccomend doing to it is a new valve body and new shift selinoids..these are the most common things that go bad kinda early in those.....as long as you dont plan to put alot of power to it you should be good to go without a performance build......:icon15:

·
Registered
133 Posts
What is the price difference between the 2000 and the 2002 tranny? Me personally would go with the 2000 tranny. Trannies will last as long as you allow them to. The more you abuse them and race them and spin tires and dont change fluids and filter and use proper fluid is what will tear a tranny up the fastest. My last firebird was a v6 with auto tranny. I bought the car with 90k miles on it and sold it with 165k miles and never put a penny into the engine or tranny other then normal maintenance (fluid and filter changes, etc). If the previous owner took care of his car, then you should have no prob's with the tranny, if you take care of it properly. If you have a chance to look at the tranny before buying it, drop the tranny pan on the bottom of the tranny and look inside it and at the inside of the pan and see if you see any metal shavings or any signs of abuse or anything tore up.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I agree with Blackbird, spend the few extra bux and change the shift solenoids and throttle body in the tranny (you can easily do this on the tranny before u put it under car). Would be cheaper to go ahead and replace those couple things when you get it now, then taking the chance and blowing up another tranny.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Really good infio here guys, thanks :icon_smile:
There is no price difference between the two trannys.
My thinking was that if they had both been abused, the 02 Firebird tranny would have less damage with having done less miles! You don't know how they've been treated :dunno: that's the problem. And of course there is much less motorway driving in the UK and lots of stopping and starting with our cr*p roads!!
My only concern now from what I've read is that if any of the electricals are different when it comes to connecting the tranny up.
From what I've read so far, the US scrapyards have all this info as its their business. I've tried getting in touch with a few but no joy! If anyone can take the time to check with their local scrappie to make sure that nothing has changed in the electrical side and that both are truly 100% compatible I would be willing to pay for the info via Paypal or something, I have a lot of money (and stress from the wife) riding on this.

Regards
DS

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
there is nothing different from 98-02s. I do agree that you should try to find a good 98 trans

as far as havin "extra doohickes" that all depends if your car has tracton control...Thats the only extra thing that i can think of being on there.....
this......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can anyone who has a 98-02 V6 Camaro confirm that the tranny belhousing is the 1 pce and not the 2 pce (split) belhousing?
Reason I'm asking is that I've also been looking into getting a remanufactured tranny from the US, but one of the guys I've been speaking to seems to think my car is a 97 because of the 1 pce belhousing on my tranny!!! It's definitely a 98 so I hope the guy is speaking thru a hole in his head!

Cheers
DS

1 - 20 of 25 Posts