Camaro Zone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1994 Firebird base model with a 3.4L V6, 5 speed manual transmission, and a rear axel with drum brakes. I have found an LT1 engine with computer and wiring harness out of a 1994 Trans Am (25th Anniversary Edition) in good running condition that is pretty complete (air conditioner, starter, alternator, etc. all included) for $500.
I want to replace the engine and transmission and rear end (if necessary) in my Firebird to essentially convert it from a base model to a Firebird Formula. My questions: 1) Can this be done and how difficult would it be? 2) Does anyone have a guide or even a list of everything that would need to be changed over to make this conversion work? 3) Does $500 sound like a fair price for a dressed but used LT1 engine with 60K miles?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
1. Yes, it can be done. It is a HUGE pain in the nuts. You're better off just getting an LT1 car.
2. I'm sure someone does. Kris probably has one in a filing cabinet or something just in case someone asks. Superman can probably find another thread and post a link.
3. 600,000 miles?

You just made me shit a brick.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
yea dude holy shit......600K?? Maybe you meant to type 60k.But idk.600K sounds a bit much.

·
drop top cruzer
9,306 Posts
you really need the whole car to make it worth wild. because you will need the rear end to sense you have drum brakes. theres also a wiring harness behind the headlights you need to which not only works the headlights etc, but also runs #7#8 injectors..plus may other parts.

·
Always Watching...
22,233 Posts
1. Yes, it can be done. It is a HUGE pain in the nuts. You're better off just getting an LT1 car.
x2.
2. Superman can probably find another thread and post a link.
Thanks. That I can do, however since Kris already beat me to it, this may give you a better idea.
http://hpsalvage.com said:
LT1 into a V6 F-body '93 - '97
Parts needed: LT1 and V8 Transmission (none of the F-body V6 Transmissions will work behind the V8)
V8 Front Suspension Crossmember $150
(Each engine had different motor mount holes)
Engine compartment wiring harness $100
(different from the engine wiring harness)
Dual fan setup '93-'95 $140
V8 Exhaust System
V8 Heater Hoses $40
V8 Fuel Lines (LT1) $50
1 piece driveshaft $65
Aluminum driveshaft $125
V8 Gauges $50

Recommended:
Limited Slip Differential with disc brakes

-Due to electronics changes from year to year and difference in V6 & V8 cars,
it is impossible list all the different changes and mods that would be required
to be made to install the LS1 in a V6 or LT1 car.
-
LT1
Accessory mounting brackets are different from early small blocks.
None of the earlier brackets will fit the LT1.
Corvette LT1s have the A/C compressor mounted high on the
engines left side. Picture
F-Body LT1s have the A/C compressor mounted low on the
engine's right side.
Requires high pressure fuel pump, 42 PSI, and return fuel line.
Computer must be reprogrammed to eliminate VATS feature or a
VATS module with proper resistor must be added to the '93 - '95 LT1
and a VATS simulator must be added to the '96 - '97 LT1.
Can use 700R4, 4L60E, BWT5 and BWT56 transmissions.
This is from a local salvage yard's website. If you'd like to see the whole thing, go to the link and click on "Swap Tips".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the reference to the earlier thread on the topic. I was sure I could not be the first person who wished to try something like this.

My 94 Firebird does have a lot of sentimental value to me. I understand a rational cost/benifit analysis would point towards selling my car and buying a factory-equiped V8 model if I really wanted the "big boy" engine, but I have grown rather attached to my car over the last 13 years. If it is possible to make the conversion, I think I am still inclined to try.

Correct me if I am wrong, but after reading the Trans Am Creations engine swap guide, it seems swapping out to an LT1 engine in a pre-1998 F-Body is (somewhat) less problematic than a V6 to LS1 engine swap. Also, it seems helpful that my car and the doner car are the exact same year.

·
Registered
521 Posts

·
drop top cruzer
9,306 Posts
if your going to do it, year to year is the best way to go. don't forget if you want AC all that has to come to, even the parts inside the dash..

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
v6 bird looks like crap compared to a trans am v8, get a trans am

My Formula looks quite like a V6 Firebird, and I think it looks better than a Trans Am from those years.

$500 sounds ok.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
lol, I just needed an argument so I could use that pic.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Lmao. That pic was epic btw.

Also, early 4th gens are kinda :18: whether t/a or v6. Later models ftw!:icon15::D

Are you going to start an arguement with me in every thread?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts