Camaro Zone Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I plan on getting my windows retinted since it's peeling off and ripping from the installation job the previous owner had done. It looks like the darkest tint I can do all around (excluding windshield) is 30%. I was wondering if anyone had 30% on their Camaro and if they can post pictures, I'm curious of what it looks like. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11,492 Posts
Hey everyone, I plan on getting my windows retinted since it's peeling off and ripping from the installation job the previous owner had done. It looks like the darkest tint I can do all around (excluding windshield) is 30%. I was wondering if anyone had 30% on their Camaro and if they can post pictures, I'm curious of what it looks like. Thanks in advance!
As a reference, I have 20% all around on my SS.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,166 Posts
ImageUploadedByCamaro Zone1439055124.979110.jpg ImageUploadedByCamaro Zone1439055150.230595.jpg

35% except for the back window its 5%

-Sent from Brooke's iPhone

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the pictures everyone.

I may need help fully understanding the law though, I may only be able to get a 35% tint. Here is the law

ILLINOIS Window Tint Law (effective October 30, 2009)

v Windshield-------non-reflective tint can be applied to the top 6 inches (AS-1 line)

v Front side windows, Back side windows, Rear window-

Ø Option 1—If the consumer chooses to have below 30% vlt on rear windows behind the driver,
then no film is allowed on the front side windows

Ø Option 2—If the consumer has clear factory glass on all windows, then 35% vlt film can be
installed on all side and rear windows

Ø Option 3—If the consumer has factory installed privacy glass on rear windows, 50% vlt is allowed
on front side windows (Ex: SUV, MPV, crossover, etc.)

NOTE: There is a statutory 5% variance for all tinted windows. The new law is a NET law.
On October 30, 2009, House Bill 3325 passed the Illinois Senate and became law effective immediately. The new legislation is a significant enhancement to the Illinois law and provides options for our customers to receive the benefits of our products and also supports the law enforcement community with better-defined laws including appropriate penalty provisions for illegal use.

What exactly does it mean by 5% variance?

I would like to get the darkest tint I can on the front two windows, so if someone could help explain this that'd be amazing.
Thank you!

·
Registered
11,492 Posts
Thank you for the pictures everyone.

I may need help fully understanding the law though, I may only be able to get a 35% tint. Here is the law

ILLINOIS Window Tint Law (effective October 30, 2009)

v Windshield-------non-reflective tint can be applied to the top 6 inches (AS-1 line)

v Front side windows, Back side windows, Rear window-

Ø Option 1-If the consumer chooses to have below 30% vlt on rear windows behind the driver,
then no film is allowed on the front side windows

Ø Option 2-If the consumer has clear factory glass on all windows, then 35% vlt film can be
installed on all side and rear windows

Ø Option 3-If the consumer has factory installed privacy glass on rear windows, 50% vlt is allowed
on front side windows (Ex: SUV, MPV, crossover, etc.)

NOTE: There is a statutory 5% variance for all tinted windows. The new law is a NET law.
On October 30, 2009, House Bill 3325 passed the Illinois Senate and became law effective immediately. The new legislation is a significant enhancement to the Illinois law and provides options for our customers to receive the benefits of our products and also supports the law enforcement community with better-defined laws including appropriate penalty provisions for illegal use.

What exactly does it mean by 5% variance?

I would like to get the darkest tint I can on the front two windows, so if someone could help explain this that'd be amazing.
Thank you!
Variance means +/- 5%..... By the law stated (with all factory clear glass) you can only go with 35% all around, but with the variance, you should be able to get by with 30% all around. If you can find 30% tint. Most tint comes in 5%, 15%, 20% and 35%. 5, 20 and 35 being the 3 most used.
I would go with 35% all around and have a 6" strip installed on the upper most part of the windshield. This would be 100% legal with no worries. Unless you want to try the 30%, there isn't much difference in 30 and 35%.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all of the pictures and everyone! All of your cars look great!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have another tint related question, has anyone ever tried removing tint on their own? Mainly the rear window? Is it difficult to remove any glue hidden in the dots at the top of the rear hatch?

·
CZ's Turbo Gawd
7,943 Posts
The problem with removing tint from the rear window is it tends to destroy the defroster strips. Any residual glue can be removed with rubbing alcohol or goof off.

Reactions: 1985 Z28

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The problem with removing tint from the rear window is it tends to destroy the defroster strips. Any residual glue can be removed with rubbing alcohol or goof off.
Thank you, even if it is removed professionally is there still a decent chance that those strips will be destroyed?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, thanks everyone, I'll pay the extra money to have the rear tint removed. I appreciate all of the help!

·
Slow'erAss
10,393 Posts
Rear at 5% and windows at 20% (legal in Colorado). Also had black vinyl placed over the "dots" on the rear window so the tint wouldn't peel/bubble over that.
The darker rear window allowed for the fronts to appear darker even though they are still legal.

The Grand Am was my DD, it had 5% all around. Bitch at night, but you get used to it.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
The darker rear window allowed for the fronts to appear darker even though they are still legal.

The Grand Am was my DD, it had 5% all around. Bitch at night, but you get used to it.
I used to run 5% in the rear also with whatever was legal up front...made everything appear darker and got pulled over often for them to check, lol...used to irritate me...

OP the darker in the back the worse it is at night, as Mr. Luos stated....the interior lighting can reflect off of the rear window and leave you with little to see, but if 35% is all you can get, than you should be okay...

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone, one of the places I called yesterday said that 35% is the legal limit, but they can do as dark as I'd like. I'm debating on just doing the 35%, from what I've been seeing it looks plenty dark enough, or going a little darker (20-25%). My buddy has 20% all around on his truck (he thought/ still thinks thats the legal limit) and he hasn't had any problems with cops as far as I know, so I have some thinking to do.

For the darker rear window I have seen a couple different things about it. The law I posted earlier in the thread says that if the rear windows behind the driver are darker than 30% then no film is allowed on the front windows, and another law from another site said the same thing, but that you can't go darker than 50% on the front windows if you have the rear window below 30%.

Thanks for all of your help an information, everyone. I have some thinking to do. I'll probably just I with 35% all around to avoid the potential hassle of being pulled over and ticketed. I'll try and let everyone know what is end up going with!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts