Camaro Zone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a daily driver 96 Firebird, despite being a daily driver we've kept it pristine and after owning it almost 10 years she still loves it (ok, we both do). It's usually parked outside (using a sunshade in the summer), but after 20 years the plastic dash pad finally gave out and now has two large cracks in it (the top pad that's closest to the windshield). The rest of the car is too nice to just leave the dash cracked, so I am looking at what my options are, so far I've got:

1. Buy an NOS replacement on Ebay - with shipping and the Canadian exchange rate this is way more than I want to spend.
  2. Buy one of the ABS plastic overlays sold online and install. - This still isn't exactly cheap.
  3. Try to find a used but non-cracked dash pad locally from a wrecker or parts car
Option 3 is probably the most cost effective, but I haven't had much luck finding anything yet.
With option 2 the big problem for me is that the ABS overlays only seem to come in black, but (like most?) my dash is dark charcoal gray. The sellers online say that these overlays can be painted - anyone had any luck with that? If so, what paint and color code did you use?

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts
Option 1 is really your best bet even if more expensive.
You'll never get one out of a salvage car without breaking it because they shatter like glass when old and brittle.
Mine had 1 crack but literally shattered when I started to take it out.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The dash pad caps look like crap compared to an actual replacement. I went that route simply because my entire dash was cracked and it covered that as well as stopping a lot of the noise. It seems like this is a car you will continue to own for years to come so i would just do it right the first time and go with option 1.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Camaro Zone mobile app

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dash pad caps look like crap compared to an actual replacement. I went that route simply because my entire dash was cracked and it covered that as well as stopping a lot of the noise. It seems like this is a car you will continue to own for years to come so i would just do it right the first time and go with option 1.

:( Not what my wallet wanted to hear, lol.
Do you have a picture of yours?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! Yeah, that's definitely not ideal...I am not a fan of that mesh around the vent, but it's much better than a bunch of cracks. Thanks again for the photos.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Thanks! Yeah, that's definitely not ideal...I am not a fan of that mesh around the vent, but it's much better than a bunch of cracks. Thanks again for the photos.
Sure thing man! No problem. Yeah I'm not either but it covers all the broken pieces that are there ahaha.

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts