Camaro Zone Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 3.8l Camaro that is mostly stock aside from a couple bolt-ons. When ever I rev above 3,000 rpm and release the throttle, a rather high pitched, very load rattle resonates from somewhere under the body. It is strange in that it only occurs when there is no throttle and the engine is reving down and specifically only when I am above 3,000 rpm. I've checked all the heat shields and connections under the car. Everything seems solid. I thought it was coming from the cat so I removed the heat shield under the converter as it was somewhat loose. This didn't change anything, but it still sounds like its coming from that area. Any suggestions?

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts
Could be the catalytic converter rattling internally

Reactions: Fetters

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I thought initially. Is it also possible the automatic transmission could make that loud of a noise if the fluid is low or needs flushed?

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts
That is what I thought initially. Is it also possible the automatic transmission could make that loud of a noise if the fluid is low or needs flushed?
I doubt it.
Converters have been known to rattle.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Had the same thing on my 02 v6 5 speed and just turned up the radio lol tried everything from heat shields to removing muffler and the only thing that would make it go away was shifting before 3k rpms

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had a rattle, not under the same conditions, mine was anytime the rpms revved high. Removed heat shield, still there, got flowmaster exhaust, and it was still there. I had a sneaking suspicion that it was the stock manifolds. The Y-pipe on the stockers are double walled. Got pacesetter's and wa la, haven't heard the damned rattle since!

·
Registered
23 Posts
My '98 3.8l bird. Has the same exhaust set up as you. I Had a bad rattling noise at idle, could sometimes hear it around 3000 rpm. Thought it was the cat at first. Turned out to be a loose bracket that holds the header to the y pipe. The bolts that connect the bracket had corroded so bad when I removed them they snapped like a twig

1 - 8 of 8 Posts