Camaro Zone Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm down to Sanding and Priming. I want to do it myself and then send it to be painted. Does anyone have suggestions as to How to Sand it correctly??

Thanks Guys!!

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I'm down to Sanding and Priming. I want to do it myself and then send it to be painted. Does anyone have suggestions as to How to Sand it correctly??

Thanks Guys!!
It's easier if you let them do the prep work. They should have the experience and put time into it to get a good paint job. If you do it, they won't know how well you prepped it or they might re do what u did if its to their dislike. And if your asking how to sand correctly it's probly best u leave it to a shop to do. Now to answer your question..... It depends on where and what your sanding . A description of what your doing would definitely help and Are you keeping it the same color?

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts
^^this^^
Prepping a car for paint is quite difficult, and requires good lighting sources.
That said it needs to be primed with two layers of different colored primer and then wet sanded with 600 or 800 wet or dry sandpaper, using bright lights to watch for imperfections in the light reflections. The two colors of primer will show where high and low spots are.

Keep in mind the top coat will hide absolutely nothing and will amplify any imperfections in the primer coat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well damn... Thanks guy's.. but now im worried about messing it up and don't want to do it. Lol. The whole car. It's silver but with having to replace almost every fender, I have to paint it and I want it jet black.

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts
Well damn... Thanks guy's.. but now im worried about messing it up and don't want to do it. Lol. The whole car. It's silver but with having to replace almost every fender, I have to paint it and I want it jet black.
Switching colors is even more of a bitch.
I am not a fan of switching colors because you can always tell it isn't original.

·
CZ's Turbo Gawd
7,943 Posts
Switching colors is even more of a bitch.
I am not a fan of switching colors because you can always tell it isn't original.
X2
Unless done correctly which requires stripping the car to a bare shell and painting the entire car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts