Camaro Zone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my ls1 threw a rod when I started it in the driveway so I put a 87k mile 5.3 in it. I love it can't really tell a difference in power but I have a problem and nobody can help me. When I hit a bump my car cuts off and right back on like all my gauges go crazy like I'm turning the car off then right back on....I've checkd grounds multiple times the battery is good and tight but if I touch the harness around the PCM it does it....could I have maybe pulled a pin loose in the plug when I draped the harness over the fender to drop the motor in? I put it in through the top btw thanks for any help

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts
You could have bent a pin.
Only way to tell is to disconnect it and look.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've unplugged it and looked the computer and the plugs look good and none looked bent I'm starting to lose hope

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts
Could be a partially broken wire in the connector.

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts
That's what I'm thinkin this weekend I'm going to take each pin out and look at them individually
Since everything dies including gauges, I would suspect the power wire or a ground wire.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've tried finding something online labeling hitch wire is what but I haven't been able to so I don't know which one is power and ground....but I agree it's either power or ground or ignition if that's on cause it cuts off as if I'm cutting it off with a key....I wish I could post videos I'd show what it's doing

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
When it car is on.. Try wiggling the key a lil bit n see if it does what yu r talking about.. Like wiggle a lil forward n backwards

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When it car is on.. Try wiggling the key a lil bit n see if it does what yu r talking about.. Like wiggle a lil forward n backwards
I've done that thinking it was the ignition but no luck it started right after I installed the 5.3 in the car

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

This is how the harness was draped on the fender I don't know if I could have pulled something loose maybe idk I'm lost

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have a close look at the ground connections on the backside of the heads. If any of the bolts are longer than the bolt that was originally there, it can bottom out in the hole, feeling like it's tight when you're on it with a wrench, but the ground connection may still be loose. Don't ask me how I know this.:whistling:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have a close look at the ground connections on the backside of the heads. If any of the bolts are longer than the bolt that was originally there, it can bottom out in the hole, feeling like it's tight when you're on it with a wrench, but the ground connection may still be loose. Don't ask me how I know this.:whistling:
Would that make it do what I'm saying? Cause the grounds on the driver side broke when I pulled the engine cause I didn't know they were there so I put new loops on them and tightened them down or I thought anyway really didn't have much room to work with

·
Registered
11,500 Posts
Would that make it do what I'm saying? Cause the grounds on the driver side broke when I pulled the engine cause I didn't know they were there so I put new loops on them and tightened them down or I thought anyway really didn't have much room to work with
Could be, just make sure "all" grounding points are tight.

SS Mobile Concert Hall :-D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Still no luck ALL grounds are perfect took each pin out of the plug for the ECM and they are all tight no loose connections I guess it's time for me to sell it I'm tired of this headache

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts
Still no luck ALL grounds are perfect took each pin out of the plug for the ECM and they are all tight no loose connections I guess it's time for me to sell it I'm tired of this headache
Well, if it cuts out when you mess with the PCM harness it's most likely either the harness or a bad connection inside the PCM itself.

Did you disconnect any firewall pass through connectors at any time?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, if it cuts out when you mess with the PCM harness it's most likely either the harness or a bad connection inside the PCM itself.

Did you disconnect any firewall pass through connectors at any time?
I only unplugged eveything to the motor and Trans to do the swap

1 - 20 of 43 Posts