Camaro Zone Forums banner

401 - 420 of 482 Posts

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #401
More info on the new HU?
Youtube video: Android Headunit - YouTube

• Android 4.1-4.2 (will probably be 4.1, incorrectly labeled as 4.2)
  • 7" 800x480 touchscreen (same resolution as the Pioneer AVIC F700BT)
  • Steering wheel inputs (XDA forum users say it should work with resistive controls but I'm still on the fence about it working or not until I actually try it)
  • Hardwired external microphone, just like Pioneer headunits (has internal microphone too), Bluetooth A2DP support, Bluetooth OBD-II support w/optional adapter (already own)
  • Integrated DVR camera optional (purchased)
  • Supports USB storage devices (should have USB OTG support)

B:What is the main configuration
1.OS: Android 4.2 system
2.CPU: Dual Core Cortex-A9
3.Memory: 1GB DDR3
4.INand Flash:8GB
5.Size:7 inch
After testing, at minus 30 degrees in Russia, the touch screen Can work well

C:What are the main features
1: External microphone (for free)
2: OBD 2 (optional)
3: TPMS<Tire Pressure Monitoring System> (optional)
4: DVR<Bidirectional Control> (optional)
5: 3G <Internet> (optional)

Support Function as Follows:
100%Pure android +capacitive touch screen +External MIC+WIFI/3G+Steering Wheel Control+Bluetooth+OBD2+Radio+Navigation+Vedio+music+SD/USB+AUX IN+DVR/Rear Camera+TPMS<Tire Pressure Monitoring System>From bluetooth

Detail about the features
1,we will send a external microphone for free
it can make your voice more pure and clear and
make sure you have a high quality call
2.Our bluetooth support OBD2<Need buy OBD2 adapter>
3.Our bluetooth support TPMS<Tire Pressure Monitoring System need buy TMPS Receiver>
4,Our DVR is Bidirectional Control ,it can not only diplay on the screen
but also you can operate the DVR on the screen ,The function is powerful
Front Right

Front Left

Rear

Rear panel connectors

Rear pigtail connectors

Universal harness wires

Main UI

Radio UI

Default Sound Settings

DVR menu

Steering wheel control input menu & other views

Built-in GPS apps

Torque

Spec list (will need to verify when I receive unit)

DVR camera pics

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #402 (Edited)
Upon closer inspection, it looks like the front fascia of the headunit is a couple millimeters larger than the traditional double-DIN size, so I may need to make a custom radio/HVAC bezel. Good thing I have a laser engraver. :) May not need to make anything though.

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #403 (Edited)
Received the unit in record time (seriously fast shipping, once it got to the shipping company) and have been testing/customizing it for the past couple of days. Works pretty well but will be better after I can get permanent root access. People on XDA Dev are working on it and seem to have some results but at the moment it involves totally wiping the unit. Not sure if I want to do that since I don't have a backup of the original ROM yet from the seller.

The DVR system seems to work well in indoor tests (came with an 8GB memory card, too) and recording/playback can be controlled via the head unit or buttons on the camera. Access to view it and change the settings is done by opening the AUX app. It transfers video to the AUX app by "sharing" the AUX 1 video input. It also transmits commands to/from the DVR camera with an on-screen display accessible in the AUX app. I did an experiment where I hooked an Xbox into the AUX 1 input and verified it worked, then turned the camera on. The screen became distorted as the two input signals mixed and interfered with one another, so if you are actively using the DVR, you can't really use AUX 1 input.

I tested the auto-on backup camera system and it worked. The unit did not come with a backup camera, so I had to make do with a Xbox and jumping the reverse signal to +12V. I'll be ordering a backup camera soon (probably this one: New 2014 US Car License Plate Frame Rear View Camera For Parking With 170 Degree+Waterproof+8 IR Night Vision Sensor-in Rear View Camera from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group ).

The front of the unit is indeed larger than the body of the unit, so I will probably need to make a custom bezel. No biggie. This is the best 2DIN headunit I've ever used.

I ordered the headunit and the DVR separately. When I ordered, I specified that I needed the universal wiring adapter (as my car is not a EU-spec Nissan), English language, and USA maps.

One box arrived and inside the box was:
  • Headunit
  • 2 metal mounting brackets
  • Nissan wiring harness adapter (bonus for bench testing! de-pinned this and inserted the pins into ATX power supply outputs and 2 car speakers)
  • Universal wiring harness adapter (all ends labeled & pre-stripped)
  • Analog? amplified TV antenna (3.5mm jack & +12V and GND leads). I tested it but no stations were picked up as we have switched all broadcasts to ATSC.
  • GPS antenna
  • Micro Wireless N adapter (plugs into one of the USB port pigtails in the back, and is about the size of a Logitech wireless transmitter)
  • iPod adapter cable, old style, not Lightning (plugs into specific iPod labeled pigtail on the back)
  • Short USB to mini USB cable & short USB extension cable
  • DVR camera w/short pigtail
  • DVR camera cable (long) with HU pigtail connector and +12V & GND leads

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #405 (Edited)
Made some progress with the twin intercooler project. Removed the front bumper support to get better measurements to open up my intercooler choices and really begin the intercooler purchasing/building process.

Also made some progress with the headunit. Removed the old AVIC F700BT and got the new one to fit (barely, will need to do a little more grinding to one of the fins in the dash above the headunit that I didn't completely remove to make the AVIC fit). Fit perfectly with the double DIN bezel I already had. The headunit has a "step down" to 2 DIN for 2 DIN bezels to line up properly. I'll enlarge the bracket holes where the bracket meets the dash to line up to the stock 1.5 DIN mounting screw locations.
New (top) and old (bottom)

Bezel test fit

Bracket test fit (pre-Velcro)

Installed

I'm gonna get some countersunk screws to attach the brackets to the dash, so the bezel will fit better when installed (the stock bracket mounting screws with the hex heads make the bezel sit a little weird when installed, countersunk screws should fix that without having to modify the bezel). Still working on programming/customizing the headunit.

After taking the pics, I noticed that the plastic "pocket" next to the ashtray looked like crap (gouged plastic) so I replaced it with an excellent condition one I had in another upper console, along with the factory rubber liner for it. I also fixed the ashtray lid return spring so the ashtray lid sits properly now (just pushed the spring back into place).

·
Flowmaster Sucks :D
6,699 Posts
Do you know how much horsepower you're going for? I love boost builds so much lol. I guess that's from having 3 Turboed vehicles lol

Almost invited you to minecraft the other night lol. Last time I talked to you I was drunk off a case of mikes hard lemonade and three monsters lol

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #407
Do you know how much horsepower you're going for? I love boost builds so much lol. I guess that's from having 3 Turboed vehicles lol
550-750 rwhp

Almost invited you to minecraft the other night lol. Last time I talked to you I was drunk off a case of mikes hard lemonade and three monsters lol
Go for it. Unless I'm playing Destiny - then, I'm probably distracted. haha

·
Flowmaster Sucks :D
6,699 Posts
550-750 rwhp

Go for it. Unless I'm playing Destiny - then, I'm probably distracted. haha
Sweet power numbers. Wish I was on the west coast to see it. And other great Cali perks ;)
And yeah I was pretty wasted last night lol. Had a half a fifth. Prob woulda freaked out more than I did when I got lost in your map lolol

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #409 (Edited)
Got a quote for custom intercoolers from a reputable local intercooler fabricator, and it's pretty reasonable.

Made some progress with the headunit. Got it rooted and have started customizing it. Currently working on changing the appearance of the main on-screen buttons to look like factory Firebird buttons/switches (like the window switches). Last Friday I found a Pontiac wallpaper online to crop and turn into a boot logo on system startup, and used Adobe After Effects to make a matching boot animation of it glowing on/off which displays after the startup logo. Here's a down-sized sample GIF:

I might do a screaming chicken logo with the bird igniting when I figure out how to do fire effects in After Effects.

·
Call me... MR. SnIpEz
8,688 Posts
The one and only dude in the entire world who hates Firebird badges so much he shaved his front license plate cover.... is about to put a flaming chicken on his boot screen. This guy.

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #414
The one and only dude in the entire world who hates Firebird badges so much he shaved his front license plate cover.... is about to put a flaming chicken on his boot screen. This guy.
:lol: I doubt it. I am still on the fence about this Pontiac logo.

How are you going to pass the California Nazi emissions laws?
It'll be put back to stock for driving on the street, of course. ;)

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #419
Pretty happy with it now. The backup camera license plate frame also arrived and looks great. The camera is clear and the frame is a heavy duty (thick) black-coated metal with a countersunk bolt attachment method to help prevent theft.
Here's a pic of the homescreen:

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #420
Got more parts:
  • Used custom CNC aluminum coil pack brackets with stainless coil pack hardware. Test fitted my old coil packs and modified the coil pack wiring harness clips to mount onto new brackets. Will probably paint old coil packs.
  • New Callies Compstar H-beam connecting rods. At some point I'm going to sell/trade the old 347ci Diamond pistons and Lunati rods.
  • 8.65" (1" larger than normal) 8-rib supercharger crank pulley (mounts to ATI harmonic balancer) for better belt wrap and moar boost. Will buy larger headunit pulley as the 3.4" pulley will probably be too small when paired with this larger crank pulley.
  • Machined/polished aluminum & clear plastic headlight/radio knobs (more info next month or later this month when I have some installed pics... here's a teaser)

401 - 420 of 482 Posts