Camaro Zone Forums banner

421 - 440 of 482 Posts

·
Call me... MR. SnIpEz
8,688 Posts
Got more parts:
  • Used custom CNC aluminum coil pack brackets with stainless coil pack hardware. Test fitted my old coil packs and modified the coil pack wiring harness clips to mount onto new brackets. Will probably paint old coil packs.
  • New Callies Compstar H-beam connecting rods. At some point I'm going to sell/trade the old 347ci Diamond pistons and Lunati rods.
  • 8.65" (1" larger than normal) 8-rib supercharger crank pulley (mounts to ATI harmonic balancer) for better belt wrap and moar boost. Will buy larger headunit pulley as the 3.4" pulley will probably be too small when paired with this larger crank pulley.
  • Machined/polished aluminum & clear plastic headlight/radio knobs (more info next month or later this month when I have some installed pics... here's a teaser)
Is it possible to illuminate the clear portion of the knobs? If you were to get a custom HVAC overlay made by 6LE to pair with these knobs, it might actually look pretty sweet.

In for updates...

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #422 · (Edited)
Is it possible to illuminate the clear portion of the knobs? If you were to get a custom HVAC overlay made by 6LE to pair with these knobs, it might actually look pretty sweet.

In for updates...
I am pretty sure the clear portions will be illuminated, stock, since the stock HVAC knobs light up. To change the lighting color of these new HVAC knobs you can either install colored LEDs into the HVAC panel, or mask off the outside of the knobs and knobs and paint the clear part on the inside of the knobs with a Tamiya translucent spraypaint. I won't know if they even fit until I test. I don't remember if the headlight switch knob lights up stock, but if it does, this new one should as well. I have one already mounted to the headlight switch panel but no battery/engine in the car. Waiting on another batch to arrive to test on the HVAC panel since those knobs are different.

·
Always Watching...
22,233 Posts
They remind me of the knobs from mother in-laws 2012 Mustang. Probably same throughout that 'generation'.
I do like them though.
You're right about the HVAC lighting that ring up.
Headlight switch does NOT like up from factory, but a couple of guys on LS1Tech wired in a LED so I'd imagine you could do it here too if you desired.

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #424 · (Edited)
Carbon roof arrived. Looks pretty good. Hope it fits well. Going to have a good body shop prep and apply a Sikkens clearcoat to the top (same brand that McLaren MP4-12C & P1 have) and an epoxy primer to the underside before installing.

New Callies Compstar H-beam forged connecting rods arrived, too.

Also received the 1" larger Procharger crank pulley which bolts to the ATI harmonic balancer. It came with 3 free bottles of ProCharger oil, too. Pulley is massive.

·
Call me... MR. SnIpEz
8,688 Posts
Lol'd at goodbye Scott Settlemire signature.

But seriously, why flat black? I don't get why people do this to their engine bays, the contrast just doesn't look tasteful to me at all.

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #430 ·
Lol'd at goodbye Scott Settlemire signature.

But seriously, why flat black? I don't get why people do this to their engine bays, the contrast just doesn't look tasteful to me at all.
I don't like flat black. Satin black is what I wrote, isn't it? There's a difference. My engine was so incredibly black/silver before that it seemed like when I popped the hood on first glance there was darkness where an engine should be. Painting the engine bay satin black should make the silver and gray components "pop" more. I need to paint the engine bay because brake fluid leaked out over time and ate the paint on the drivers side forward strut tower and the subframe rail including the inside (that's gonna be a PITA...).

Dude your car is sweet!!!! What state are you in?
California. I'm actually in downtown Los Angeles about to leave work right now. My car is in pieces in a garage in the high desert.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I definitely want to see it at a car show or something when you're done! However long that takes lol. Do you have to smog it or what? And last question... how does the carbon fiber hood and sail panel work? Do you cut out the existing metal and put that in its place? Its going to look sick!!!

Sent from my LGLS740 using Camaro Zone mobile app

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #434 · (Edited)
I definitely want to see it at a car show or something when you're done! However long that takes lol. Do you have to smog it or what? And last question... how does the carbon fiber hood and sail panel work? Do you cut out the existing metal and put that in its place? Its going to look sick!!!
Thanks! We'll see what happens. Only exterior carbon fiber on the car will be the roof. The roof skin is a SMC (like fiberglass) panel - GM glued them onto the steel unibody roof structure at the factory. To replace it, I have to pretty much destroy the old panel. The hood is staying the same (Raptor hood by Suncoast Creations). I may apply some 3M DI-NOC carbon fiber vinyl film to the side mirrors to try and make them match the roof, and possibly some other interior pieces, but I may not. Roof is probably getting done last, or at the very soonest, after the car is sitting on the ground again on all 4 tires.

·
Call me... MR. SnIpEz
8,688 Posts
I don't like flat black. Satin black is what I wrote, isn't it? There's a difference. My engine was so incredibly black/silver before that it seemed like when I popped the hood on first glance there was darkness where an engine should be. Painting the engine bay satin black should make the silver and gray components "pop" more. I need to paint the engine bay because brake fluid leaked out over time and ate the paint on the drivers side forward strut tower and the subframe rail including the inside (that's gonna be a PITA...).

California. I'm actually in downtown Los Angeles about to leave work right now. My car is in pieces in a garage in the high desert.
PFFT hardly.

So the plan is that by painting the entire engine bay black, it's somehow going to not make it looker darker than it was before?

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #436 ·
So the plan is that by painting the entire engine bay black, it's somehow going to not make it looker darker than it was before?
Yes. By painting the engine bay dark it reduces the contrast of the black and polished engine. The contrast between engine and shock towers was too great before and the shock towers stood out more than the engine. By painting them black, the engine details will have more contrast without having to put gaudy colors on it.

·
Registered
11,492 Posts
Absorbs heat too does it not

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Camaro Zone mobile app
You are mistaking dark colors absorbing UV (sunlight) heat. Yes, Dark colors DO absorb UV heat more than lighter colors......... But, Engine bay, dark colored paint and heat will not matter.

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #440 ·
HVAC knob seller sent the wrong ones (not the style I ordered). Just opened a dispute and asked them to send me the right ones.
I also got a quote for a clearcoat to the roof panel but the shop cannot obtain the epoxy primer necessary, but they said if I can get it, they will spray it.

421 - 440 of 482 Posts