Camaro Zone Forums banner

441 - 460 of 482 Posts

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #441 ·
GF got me some car stuff for Christmas. 2 cans of ATE brake fluid (the non-dyed version of SuperBlue), one bottle of Motul 600 (for the clutch), and an injection-molded 2-DIN faceplate bezel that looks pretty much like a factory piece. The faceplate will need a little horizontal trimming on the inner diameter where the headunit meets the faceplate, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yes. By painting the engine bay dark it reduces the contrast of the black and polished engine. The contrast between engine and shock towers was too great before and the shock towers stood out more than the engine. By painting them black, the engine details will have more contrast without having to put gaudy colors on it.
Hmmmm....not sure if I agree with the contrast concern. What do you consider "gaudy"? Your car silver or pewter?

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #445 · (Edited)
How it was last time it was assembled (before I securely mounted the two catch cans). I don't think I'll be running the coil pack covers when it's running again. As you can see, it's a lot of black. I switched to some thin-look custom billet CNC coil pack brackets and will probably paint the coil packs Pewter. I also bought the supplies necessary to perform the wire mod. A lot of other things will be changing as well due to the twin-FMIC setup and D1SC (battery relocation/smaller battery, different upper radiator support, etc.).

·
Registered
11,492 Posts
How it was last time it was assembled (before I securely mounted the two catch cans). I don't think I'll be running the coil pack covers when it's running again. As you can see, it's a lot of black. I switched to some thin-look custom billet CNC coil pack brackets and will probably paint the coil packs Pewter. I also bought the supplies necessary to perform the wire mod. A lot of other things will be changing as well due to the twin-FMIC setup and D1SC (battery relocation/smaller battery, different upper radiator support, etc.).
Very clean!!! Why not paint the coil pack covers pewter?

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #447 ·
Very clean!!! Why not paint the coil pack covers pewter?
I just don't want to use them any more. Tired of the look, and they just trap heat inside an area that should not be kept hot. Plus, they're just another piece to remove when it's time to work on the car.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
While I can see what you are saying about the contrast in the bay, but I just don't think that adding more black would be the way to fix it. IMO that would just make the whole thing look like a black hole. Instead I would aim to break up the black.

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #449 · (Edited)
While I can see what you are saying about the contrast in the bay, but I just don't think that adding more black would be the way to fix it. IMO that would just make the whole thing look like a black hole. Instead I would aim to break up the black.
I do.
In combination with the other things I mentioned in post #445.
That will make it look nice, IMO.

I also think a lot of people in this thread have forgotten or completely missed my post about the brake fluid that has dissolved the factory paint. I'm not painting it for shits 'n giggles. I'm painting it because I have to. There's no way I'm going to match the factory color and finish in the engine bay especially as a DIY job with my first time using a real paint gun, so I'm going satin black because it looks good.

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #453 ·
Meatwad just gave me some help with some questions I had about painting. Good stuff. Thanks, dude!

I thought step one was steal underpants not finish build!
Way past that step! :rock:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I like colored engine bays a lot. I love crimsonbirds old bay, his is similar to mine but different color towers. ImageUploadedByCamaro Zone1420248453.339180.jpg ImageUploadedByCamaro Zone1420248486.775793.jpg ImageUploadedByCamaro Zone1420248508.227290.jpg ImageUploadedByCamaro Zone1420248547.846353.jpg

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #458 · (Edited)
Found a great deal on some 64cc West Coast Cylinder Heads CNC ported 245cc intake runner Edelbrock cathedral port heads (link to flow data). West Coast Cylinder Heads is local and the heads were on at least two 800+ rwhp cars before, so I'm going to have them refreshed. The nice thing about these heads (aside from them being proven to work alright on boosted cars) is that I can re-use my stock trunion upgraded rocker arms. Next purchase is valve springs/retainers, cam, and gaskets. Maybe an oil pump, too. Also drove about two hours the weekend before last to pick up the meth kit and pail of meth, and took the girlfriend and made it an adventure day & date night since it was a nice area along the coast.

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #459 ·
Dropped off the methanol kit and methanol to where the car is stored. Also dropped off ATE brake fluid, Motul 600 clutch fluid, and a Harbor Freight compressed air paint gun and disposable cups, and test fit a new batch of custom HVAC knobs, which will work fine. Need a few more tweaks to them before I post pics.

Found an old pic of the car from about 2009 and edited it:

441 - 460 of 482 Posts