Camarozone.com banner

461 - 480 of 482 Posts

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #462
Epoxy primer arrived for the carbon fiber hardtop roof. Going to primer the inside and clearcoat the outside. Trying to get in touch with the body shop I had lined up so I can get this thing painted.

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #463
Getting cam specs from people. Bought a cam spec info sheet to get a spec from Lil Johns MotorSports (LJMS) and forgot to get my header collector diameter and length when I was out there last, so I'll need to get my dad to measure it for me or measure it in a few weeks.

Body shop I had lined up for months now, to paint the carbon fiber roof, just flaked on me. Found another shop to try. Will be dropping by there Saturday with the roof so they can look at it.

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #466
Any pictures of it installed? It has been 8 days now.
Haven't even heard from them. Don't know if they even started on it. I told them I wasn't in a rush and they had a lot of other work in line in front of me, so no big deal. My car isn't going anywhere any time soon. :(

I just spent $300 at the junkyard buying misc. stuff for the Jeep and Saturn to keep me entertained and wrenching/flipping parts while waiting for the roof to be done and a cam spec made for the Bird. :(

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #467 (Edited)
Updates...

Carbon fiber roof has been primed underneath, clearcoated on top, and baked in my very warm metal garage for months. Body shop did a very good job with the clearcoat application.

Custom cam has been ordered and received. Cam Motion core. 231/244 .629/.629 116+5 @ .050

Dropped off my WCCH CNC ported Edelbrock 245cc heads at WCCH for a refresh. No ETA or confirmation of what work will need to be done.

Next step after the heads are done is to get the engine assembled. $$$$.

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #468
Heads are done, just need to pick them up and dish out the $800. They inspected them incl. CC check, put in some new valves, did a valve job, checked the guides, cleaned up the deck surface (new compression around 10.2:1... gonna need good gas and probably meth, possibly a metal intake manifold or custom spacer for the intake runner ports to seal properly) and installed a BTR spring kit with titanium retainers.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Heads are done, just need to pick them up and dish out the $800. They inspected them incl. CC check, put in some new valves, did a valve job, checked the guides, cleaned up the deck surface (new compression around 10.2:1... gonna need good gas and probably meth, possibly a metal intake manifold or custom spacer for the intake runner ports to seal properly) and installed a BTR spring kit with titanium retainers.
Sounds awesome!!!

Sent from my LGLS740 using Camaro Zone mobile app

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #470 (Edited)
Still alive. Picked up the heads, made a Facebook page for the Bird & a Roadkill style to-do list, then bought an Improved Racing oil pan baffle and pickup tube girdle, and an Aster bracket & 4" supercharger pulley.

Need to buy lifters (the ones I've been meaning to get have been out of stock for weeks) & get the longblock together.

https://www.facebook.com/TheFauxhawk/

·
Registered
890 Posts
I was actually just thinking about this build. I gave your page a like, glade to see some updates.

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #474
Bought a new BMR turbo K-member a month or two ago for a great price from a local car buddy that bought one and never used it.
Dropped off most of the longblock components yesterday and today. Just need to get a few remaining small odds and ends over to the shop.

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #475 (Edited)
End of 2017 Update

Shit. Forgot to post an update, or two, or four.
Welp, lots of updates.
Got a new job in April of 2017 and it's been good to me. Much higher pay and much better hours and a much better future.
Longblock is finished and sitting next to the car.
Pics of longblock build provided by the builder: Went with Straub Technologies rocker arm bearing replacements on a set of cores provided by my engine builder since I'm not sure how much longer the COMP trunion replacement rocker arms would last (lots of premature failures reported on those).
Picked up another water pump because the old one grew legs and disappeared. Pretty upset about that and wondering what other parts may have grown legs and disappeared.
Took advantage of BMR's Black Friday sale and bought over $1k of suspension parts (front BMR lowering springs, Koni STR.T struts, 1" drop lower a-arms, short tunnel mount torque arm with driveshaft safety loop).
Firebird is getting blocked in with a bunch of parts (good) and dads junk and extra building materials (bad - not enough room to work). Need to clear out some space to paint the engine bay and assemble the new K-member to get the engine mounted to it. Also need to figure out if the intake manifold will seal properly since the heads have been milled so much. Lots more to do, just have to make the time and find the willpower.

^ yes, that's a TA rear bumper above the longblock. I also have TA sideskirts that need to go on at some point.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,492 Posts
Shit. Forgot to post an update, or two, or four.
Welp, lots of updates.
Got a new job in April of 2017 and it's been good to me. Much higher pay and much better hours and a much better future.
Longblock is finished and sitting next to the car.
Pics of longblock build provided by the builder: Went with Straub Technologies rocker arm bearing replacements on a set of cores provided by my engine builder since I'm not sure how much longer the COMP trunion replacement rocker arms would last (lots of premature failures reported on those).
Picked up another water pump because the old one grew legs and disappeared. Pretty upset about that and wondering what other parts may have grown legs and disappeared.
Took advantage of BMR's Black Friday sale and bought over $1k of suspension parts (front BMR lowering springs, Koni STR.T struts, 1" drop lower a-arms, short tunnel mount torque arm with driveshaft safety loop).
Firebird is getting blocked in with a bunch of parts (good) and dads junk and extra building materials (bad - not enough room to work). Need to clear out some space to paint the engine bay and assemble the new K-member to get the engine mounted to it. Also need to figure out if the intake manifold will seal properly since the heads have been milled so much. Lots more to do, just have to make the time and find the willpower.
Yeah, it's been awhile !!!!! Congrats on your progress!! :D

·
Call me... MR. SnIpEz
8,688 Posts
New engine looks tits Lee. I agree 100% on the decision to go with Chris' rocker arm bushings vs the Comp trunions, I've also been hearing a lot about failure on them. Your engine builder did a beautiful job polishing those crank journals, and the Cam Motion cam looks damn good as well.

I also just got a new job offer almost two weeks ago that's going to be a huge opportunity for me as well. It will triple my current salary which is already the most I've ever made, downside (upside?) is I'll be leaving my little small town area and moving into the city of Houston itself 45 minutes North, but the scope of what I was planning to do with the Camaro just increased (I had almost everything needed to rebuild the engine too :lol:). Props to our mutual progress :beerchug:
I seriously almost jumped on that BMR Black Friday sale, but then MWC came in dick swinging saying they'll match ANYONE's price. They did, and then BMR fired back by lowering theirs and as I and many others waited for MWC to respond, BMR sold out and MWC said "lol nah jk didn't really mean it" and the window to buy on that closed as well. Was pretty pissed at MWC, though still would probably buy a rear end from them due to no comparable competition for rear ends :mad:

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #479
Update: new layer of dust on the car. Looks like there's water spots so I guess there's some condensation/leak issues with the garage when it rains? :)

Seriously though, uhhhh... I used my COVID-19 related Work From Home lockdown spare time to get organized and made a build sheet with items/parts, descriptions, costs, physical inventory/locations, a shopping list, a project task list, and build sheets for my cars previous builds. Now all I need is to be able to schedule some time to work-from-home at my parents home to clean up a work area around/under the car and start knocking out those items. :lol: Might be able to do that during the holidays, as my work office is officially closed to employees until January due to a COVID-19 issue.

·
Call me... MR. SnIpEz
8,688 Posts
Update: new layer of dust on the car. Looks like there's water spots so I guess there's some condensation/leak issues with the garage when it rains? :)

Seriously though, uhhhh... I used my COVID-19 related Work From Home lockdown spare time to get organized and made a build sheet with items/parts, descriptions, costs, physical inventory/locations, a shopping list, a project task list, and build sheets for my cars previous builds. Now all I need is to be able to schedule some time to work-from-home at my parents home to clean up a work area around/under the car and start knocking out those items. :lol: Might be able to do that during the holidays, as my work office is officially closed to employees until January due to a COVID-19 issue.
I will be eagerly waiting with bated breath on your imminent progress. I could really use some inspiration to go into my garage and start tearing into my own car. Regretting not ripping out the engine before it got cold 😅

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to respond to me :)

461 - 480 of 482 Posts