Camaro Zone Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Like the other's mentioned, the hubs are not cheap...the other thing is that there are two sets of ball joints on these cars, one upper control arm and a lower control arm...
And they need to be removed/installed with a press, off the car... Quality ball joints are not cheap, either.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Oh I know ball joints are expensive. I was going to get the cheap uppers and quality lowers. Run me about $110 at advanced autoparts

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts
Oh I know ball joints are expensive. I was going to get the cheap uppers and quality lowers. Run me about $110 at advanced autoparts
And when you get it all back together, drive it and the rumble is still there, you'll take it back apart and replace the hubs.:18:

Reactions: ZexGX

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts
so what did you replace to fix the problem..
im having similar issues.. update plz
Find a not busy street and drive about 30 mph.
Listen for the rumble and turn the steering wheel side to side.
If the rumble changes with direction changes, it is the hubs.
Mine failed and were noisy as all get out.
When removed they were still just as tight as the new ones.
I changed them myself.
Could not believe how much noise the old ones had been making.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't have a rumble but when I turn the wheel side to side at around 30mph it makes a clacking sound. I *do* have some vertical play (12-6 o'clock) so I'm pretty certain it's the bearing. Does that description of the sound seem right?

The plan is/has been to replace both front hubs after I finish my engine project on my truck.

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts
I don't have a rumble but when I turn the wheel side to side at around 30mph it makes a clacking sound. I *do* have some vertical play (12-6 o'clock) so I'm pretty certain it's the bearing. Does that description of the sound seem right?

The plan is/has been to replace both front hubs after I finish my engine project on my truck.
That sounds more like upper control arm bushings.

Had mine done recently.

Reactions: ZexGX

·
Registered
131 Posts
That sounds more like upper control arm bushings.

Had mine done recently.
It was something in the control arms, or the shock tower. I loosened up both this weekend looking for loose parts (passenger side), and when I put everything back together it was quiet as new. Only bad news is I really do need to replace the hubs, they're old and have hit quite a few bumps in their day, the passenger side is definitely bad.

For reference, my upper arms are BMR and use a spherical bearing of some sort, rather than a traditional bushing. Helps make the car go wherever you point your steering wheel! =D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey, you don't have to replace anything unless it's damaged.

Try to grease the ball joints and you are fine .......

Good luck

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Hey, you don't have to replace anything unless it's damaged.

Try to grease the ball joints and you are fine .......

Good luck
Factory ball joints on these cars are non-serviceable. No grease fittings.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts