Camaro Zone Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I own a 1996 camaro with a 3.8l and a 4l60e trans behind it. I know the costs and work it involves. To all the people that are thinking "just buy a v8", trust me i would if i could. This is more so starting out as a layout of things to come. Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated! So here it is:

Rear End
-Auburn limited slip differential
-Jegs 3:73 Ring and Pinion

Intake/Exhaust
-piecing together my own CAI
-Pace Setter headers
-3in. single pipe from Y pipe back
-high flow cat (unsure of brand still)
-Summit Racing Muffler

Transmission
-B&M Pro Stick Ratchet Shifter
-B&m Shift KIt

Pulleys
-Alternator Pulley
-Water pump Pulley

Power Adders
-ZEX wet nitrous system
-Nitrous pressure gauge
-Fuel/ Air Ratio gauge
-Switches
-Purge Kit
-Blow down Kit
-Heavy duty Spark Plugs to go with it

Suspension
-Lakewood Rear Lower control arms
-Lakewood Panhard Bar
-Lakewood Torque Arm
-Shocks and spring still in the air

Installed
-Accel Ignition coils
-Fel-Pro Upper and Lower Intake madifold gasskets
-Napa high grade spark plug wires
-Bump stops from v6fixit.com (instaling this weekend)

Ill be adding/changing things as I go on.
Thanks!!!!:Chevy_anim:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Go with a dry kit. Trust me on this one. You can run up to a 100 shot if you have the fueling done correctly (High flow fuel pump and bigger injectors), run the nozzle so it sprays in the stream of the MAF sensor, immediately adds fuel in an appropriate manner. If you do this, you can essentially run two tunes in one. One in the low octane tables and one in the high octane tables reserved for the nitrous hit. Start with a 50 jet and work your way up.

Why not wet!? Our intake manifolds are not very good at handling wet shots, especially larger HP jets. The floor of the intake manifold promotes puddling and you end up with an explosive mix and an imminent backfire.

·
CZ's Turbo Gawd
7,943 Posts
Sounds like a neat project. Personally I would not use a shift kit since you are adding nitrous you will be having to tune the PCM anyway I would make changes to the Trans tuning where you can still have good quick firm shifts when you need them but it will drive around part throttle normally. So having a ratchet shifter isn't going to make a difference with the power level you will be at.

Reactions: slbbrf

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go with a dry kit. Trust me on this one. You can run up to a 100 shot if you have the fueling done correctly (High flow fuel pump and bigger injectors), run the nozzle so it sprays in the stream of the MAF sensor, immediately adds fuel in an appropriate manner. If you do this, you can essentially run two tunes in one. One in the low octane tables and one in the high octane tables reserved for the nitrous hit. Start with a 50 jet and work your way up.

Why not wet!? Our intake manifolds are not very good at handling wet shots, especially larger HP jets. The floor of the intake manifold promotes puddling and you end up with an explosive mix and an imminent backfire.
thanks man. any kit u would suggest?

·
CZ's Turbo Gawd
7,943 Posts
Also pulleys are more trouble than they're worth. Lower alternator and water pump output at lower RPMs

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sounds like a neat project. Personally I would not use a shift kit since you are adding nitrous you will be having to tune the PCM anyway I would make changes to the Trans tuning where you can still have good quick firm shifts when you need them but it will drive around part throttle normally. So having a ratchet shifter isn't going to make a difference with the power level you will be at.
ratchet shifter more for fun and look and thats a good point about the PCM didnt think about that. wouldnt i need a different PCM? like one from a 97?

·
Registered
549 Posts
i have a site where u can get a CAI for about 33 bucks. if ur interested let me know and ill give you the link and what simple thing you have to do to get it that cheap

·
Registered
508 Posts
thanks man. any kit u would suggest?
Find a good quality kit that comes with the safety mechanisms and solenoids. Don't just hit the button and spray it, do it smart or you WILL be replacing a motor.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Find a good quality kit that comes with the safety mechanisms and solenoids. Don't just hit the button and spray it, do it smart or you WILL be replacing a motor.
This. I knew a kid back in High School that had a v6 Mustang with a nitrous kit in it. He was a little trigger happy with it and ended up blowing the motor in the thing within a couple months or so of getting it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts