Camaro Zone Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did it.... surprisingly it doesnt look as bad as i thought it would. :lol:

only drilled 2 small holes for the antenna mount. its drilled also into the seam tape so i can easily plug it up if i remove it. also the cb mount bracket is held to the cup holder by 3M double sided mounting tape. and its out of the way and doesn't look too bad.

i also used a 12vlt sorce most people wouldn't think of. i grabbed that CD changer plug in the back trunk and cut both ground and 12vlt hot lines out of it and wired up my CB with it. ran the wires under paneling and behind back seat so no ugly cords or holes cut in firewall to run lines. and the coaxial is layed over the weather stripping and no leaks.

i enjoy cb radios and since i cant drive my 79 (which had this midland 77-888 radio) i thought i would install one on my 98. just goes to show it can be done on a 4th gen firebird.

equipment( for you ham or cb operators) nothing special

midland 77-888 radio
18' fireflex coaxle
4' firestick II antenna

sorry for the product placement. i like low carb monsters.

sorry to people the post was very miss-spelled. i just re read it fixed it. been typing an essay and crap all morning so my brain fried for a sec. all better

· Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
awesome. i got my antenna at a local shop. its a 4' correction. im looking to get a 100~250watt amp setup to give some range.

and i had thought about doing exactly what you said. pulling the FM antenna out and sliding this firestick in. my power antenna craped out so its just stuck up anyways. but i didnt know how i would wire an antenna for the radio that was worth a damn

· Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
yeah man hey i got info from someone on how to mount a 102" wilson 1000 or base loaded antenna on your firebirds. its ugly as sin but has been done.

under the rear bumper there is a section for a tow hook. sand that down and weld OR bolt a extension on that to come out past the rear bumper about 3" then mount the antenna on that extension. my only problem is the base loaded coil would below the chassis line and i could see bad SWR problems or crap RX from it.

i would almost be up to putting something like a stick of stainless steel screwed to the underside lip of the truck hatch and bolting a base loaded 102" whip on that. that would get some range.

all you would have to do is put a grounding strap from the trunk to the body but those hide easy at the hinges.

Also

the antenna im using is a 4' firestick II like stated. you can get that mount at any cb store. its a 5/8 wave for 27.000mhz frequency. FM and and AM are different and also the higher the frequency the smaller the wave becomes. i have never used a CB antenna for FM radio reception so i dont know if that will pick up better or not? a 27.000mHz wave is 32' tall (i think 32~36 cant remember)

and antennas that send have to be in relation to the wave its transmitting to achieve a low SWR and not hurt the radio. there are 1/4 1/2 5/8 and so on antennas out there.

but there is a reason that all FM radio antennas on cars are of the same length or close to it. it has a relationship to the frequency used on the FM band for radio stations. you cant hook a CB up to a stock FM antenna on a car and transmit a clean wave unless its 102" long whip.

my 79 camaro has the antenna in the glass, funny thing is that that antenna is a dipole that goes up and across the top of the windshield in two directions. it was tuned for AM use. if you notice older cars that only had AM radios and antennas came in more clear than a new 2010 car switched to AM.

· Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
a wilson 1000 base mount would be epic on the firebird if you could find a place to mount it. i almost thought of making a mount to mount a wilson right ontop of the car, just under the lip of the T top.

· Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
lol..... i missed some funny shit.... and yeah you guys got it but its bad to talk to people 155 miles away. a horizontal dipole will DX like crazy, a vertical stays closer to the earth than beaming straight into the sky like a horizontal dipole

· Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
yeah i been getting DX lately. from Texas and the south. then i change the channel.....

i need to repair my HR2510, its a 10meter radio or ham that needs a licence, but mine has been changed to accept 26.00Mhz~29.500 so i get all cb channels but my audio IC chip has gone south on me OR the caps around it. i was told the caps with age and there undervoltage tend to leak or short causing the chip to heat up and turn off so i got to replace some caps on my radio. but if i get it working again its basically a beefed up cb

· Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
just fixxed my HR2510 ham radio, needed new C95 and 97 caps that controlled IC103 audio chip. as soon as they were replaced. it works great now. guess what 10meter ham radio is going in my firebird tonight...... lol

· Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
same mount as the 77-888 was mounted on. its been working good since i replaced the caps. might need to replace a few more caps though having a few display problems here and there but well see.

· Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
yeah that was way too much crap to deal with. that mount i found kind of special. it came with a realistic police scanner i have, not the one that came with it. you might be better making one out of a thing of steel. OR mounting it to the carpet with your factory one. mine has a odd shape. maybe a CB shop will have different mounting brackets you can choose from. or use it and drill two screw holes on the lip of the cup holder. so its angled up. just play with it i guess.

ALSO
theres a good 12volt source in the back. the plug for the CD changer option, pull that out cut the heavy orange+ and black line- then wire an extension wire under the plastic trim out the little hole by the seat lock bolt, down behind the seat back, down tucked up under the seat bottom by the seatbelt shackle lock, and up to the radio only exposing about 3" worth of ugly wire. you can even electrical tape it or loom it. i dont see any of it.
the coaxial, is just laid across the hatch seal, and the rubber seal you can tuck the coaxial out with minimal view of it. route the coaxial the same way as DC power wire, then wind the rest up into a yarn bundle NOT A CIRCLE and tuck away in the back away from other wires, mines shielded pretty good, and your done.

i used 3M double sided indoor outdoor mounting tape, it works ok i might mount it with two small screws later on if im set 100% with that location. the screws will be in such a small nook that you wont see it if it does get removed, i just going to use the tape and make sure my HR2510 works long enough to warent it. because the girlfriend and friends dont know how to keep there backpacks and shit off of it and it tweaks the radio enough to pull the mounting tape.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts