Camaro Zone Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father gave me the keys to his 89 formula firebird couple weeks ago, took really good care of it mechanicaly its a good platform. He was in a little collision with this car and thats his reason for giving it to me. The car was hit on the rear passenger side quarter panel. The damage did not extend to the frame or anything serious, but the panel is beyond saving. The bumper seems to be ok since its plastic. As you know the qarter panel is part of the big rap around connected to the other side. The car needs new paint anyway so after this step it will be getting some fresh coats. I dont know how to go about replacing this piece.
your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Cole

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
the thing with replacing it is that it can be very tricky to get teh alignment right. on the 4th gen (i'm not sure about 3rd gen) the rear quarter is spot-welded in rather than bolted in to the subframe.

do you have any pics of the damaged quarter panel? it might be salvagable but you probably won't be able to...you'd be amazed at what can be hammered back out... if there's any tears, its scrap unless you're a master welder.

edit: thats another thought... if you are good at welding/ know the right people, you can cut out the damage with an angle grinder and weld a boneyard panel on over it.

Reactions: madeinchinamyass

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what it looks like, the quater panel section is bolted to the rest of the car. But there is a subframe that is only attatched to the damaged section. It is hard to explain, I will be able to get some inside and outside pictures tommorow.
Thanks again guys.
Cole

1 - 5 of 5 Posts