Camaro Zone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
drop top cruzer
9,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tired of that cracked and broken dash then fix it...

how to fixed your cracked dash pad to look brand new!
Takes about 2 hours to do a good job, but well worth it​

You'll need: Super strength 3M spray adhesive (for convertible-top fabric repair),
Plastic welder epoxy glue, 1x2 yards of charcoal colored vinyl (pleather), exact-o blades, super glue.
Total cost: about $20
Total Time: about 2 hours​

sick of this look??

first get some Plastic welder epoxy. this stuff is tough.

I used cardboard (capt n crunch cereal box) and epoxy to glue the cracks back together, sand the plastic then patch the crack permanently
the cardboard adds great strength to the already strong glue, not pretty, but this will never be seen anyways.

Super strength 3m adhesive spray, (yellow color)

I bought a roll (1yard x 2 yards) of this pleather vinyl stuff from a fabrics store, Costs about 3$ per yard and the color was a perfect charcoal match to the original dash!

SPRAY ON!, follow directions for max strength. Spray both vinyl and dash pad 2 good coats. let dry for 5-10 mins until tacky, then press on firmly.

sticky!

cut vent holes

nice!​

flip over trim edges leaving enough overhang

sand and roughen up the area where the flaps are to be glued, directly under my fingers.

super glue and fold flaps over, superglue works nice for a quick dry, and is stronger for the flaps than the 3m spray.

cut notches for a clean fit and fold. beautiful

brand new dash!!!​

The best part of this vinyl is that its flexible, and will withstand direct sunlight while providing support for the cracked dash underneath.
Enjoy your sweet newish dash pad without the cracks!​

How to by Sick97SS

·
Registered
397 Posts
Awesome! Damn i i wish i could have seen this before i ripped out all the loose pieces of my dash because they were rattling...

·
Always Watching...
22,233 Posts
Awesome! Damn i i wish i could have seen this before i ripped out all the loose pieces of my dash because they were rattling...
I know!... I payed 100 bucks more to get a newer used one to install. Maybe if this one goes bad, I'll consider doing this fix. My last one had a crap load of cracks, and the vent had a crack too, so it still would've looked like crap. Plus, that thing was so dried out, it shattered just trying to take it out. I dropped a big section of it on the pavement and spent 2 minutes picking up all the damn little pieces.
Good post!:icon15:

·
Registered
611 Posts
woo ill keep that in mind if and when my dash cracks

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
awesome write up. I bet that looks/feels nicer than the hard plastic too.
x2

Great post, my dash is cracked in 2 spots. Next spring I'll HAVE to do this.

It seems where you have to cut the vent out, it would just look shitty:dunno:

·
Always Watching...
22,233 Posts
x2
It seems where you have to cut the vent out, it would just look shitty:dunno:
I would agree with you on that. I think if you maybe cut it out before you glued it on, you could do a better job. Maybe figure out a way to cut enough over hang to wrap it under. Idk. You'd have to play with it a little i guess.

·
drop top cruzer
9,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may try and do this while I'm off for Christmas, a new dash pad is almost $300:icon_sad: so $20 is much better option:icon15:

·
Always Watching...
22,233 Posts
I may try and do this while I'm off for Christmas, a new dash pad is almost $300:icon_sad: so $20 is much better option:icon15:
Yeah, I almost bought a brand new one. Got a pretty good deal on a used one on ebay though. How bad is yours cracked?

·
drop top cruzer
9,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the cheapest one I've ever seen on ebay 4 a 93-96 was $250 and it doesn't even have the little red security light

·
Always Watching...
22,233 Posts
The 98-02 Dash will fit, it's just a different color. And if you planned on changing the color of your interior, this might be something to think about...

·
Always Watching...
22,233 Posts
Okay i did a little searching on the site i was planning on buying a new dash pad from... and this is what i got. I know the difference between the the earlier 4th gen and the later 4th gen were color, but i didnt know there was another difference from 93-96. Check out these links. I split em up for easy comparison.
19931996 Camaro and Z28 Dash Pad New GM 10267171 93 94 95 96 1993 1994 1995 1996 by Conquest Auto Parts
19971999 Camaro Firebird Trans AM Dash Pad New GM 1997 1998 1999 97 98 99 by Conquest Auto Parts
20002002 Camaro Firebird Trans AM Dash Pad New GM 2000 2001 2002 00 01 02 by Conquest Auto Parts

Either way, prices are still better than what you said you saw on ebay.

·
drop top cruzer
9,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the ones on ebay are GM OEM, that why they cost so much..

·
drop top cruzer
9,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
still might try this, it looks good and it was only about $20, if it looks like crap than I can get a new one..

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ugh that sucks sooo bad, i hate having the dang dash cover i had to put on there to make it look decent. ASDLAJSKDASKDJIQWJEE! I want a New dash pad dangit. .....:28:

·
Always Watching...
22,233 Posts
Ugh that sucks sooo bad, i hate having the dang dash cover i had to put on there to make it look decent. ASDLAJSKDASKDJIQWJEE! I want a New dash pad dangit. .....:28:
Well then check out those links I provided for a pretty decent deal or do this mod if yours can be salvaged.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts