Camaro Zone Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I tried to do as much research on any knocking noises before I posted but it doesn't really have me quite at ease. I've had my 2000 Camaro for almost 3 years now and to me it really doesn't sound any different, but someone had tried to point out to be that they hear a rod knock. So now I'm paranoid.

At cold start up, I hear the noise when driving. I can't say I really hear it when at cold idle. I run Supreme gas, change my oil frequently at 3,000 miles, etc. The noise does seem to go away when engine warm, but my exhaust is a little loud to sometimes decipher any noises inside the car. The weather here in PA is obviously getting bone-chilling cold, and I'm getting ready to garage it.

This morning on my way into work, I didn't hear the noise that I hear over the weekend. Am I really getting to be that paranoid?

In all the research that I could find through this forum and others, I'm seeing that the LS1 has a lot of piston knock concerns on cold. Can other LS1 owners confirm? Any tips to get rid of it, remedy it? Should I be concerned more? Any one from the lower central PA region that may know an LS1 tech?

Just looking to be put at ease.

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts
Piston slap sounds like a rattle, a rod sounds more like a thud or clunk.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sounds like why GM replaced my cars motor at 50,000km with original owner. The bill states knocking until car was warm, was piston slap.

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Sounds to me like piston slap. It's extremely common on 98-02 V8 Camaros/Firebirds, and some owners complained so much that GM replaced their motors under warranty. I wouldn't worry too much about that. Now, if you're getting a lot of Knock Retard (KR) then you might have something to deal with. Somebody with a live-data-scanning tool (handheld OBD-II scanner that displays live information from the cars computer) or a laptop and HP Tuners can tell you if the computer is telling the engine to retard the timing when it detects engine knock. The PCM in my car was commanding a few degrees of KR at the stock spark timing, so I had my tuner drop the spark timing down to 23 degrees to try and eliminate the knock retard as much as possible and hope nothing happened to the engine...

Fast forward to the engine teardown, approx. 6 months later...
Extremely light scoring (barely more discnernable than the factory honing marks) from the sides of a couple of the pistons on the cylinder walls, but nothing to be concerned about. These fine marks are the result of piston slap. I couldn't find any evidence of obvious damage in the motor (didn't check the tolerances though...), so I'm guessing the car just had massive piston slap issues (it was audible 95% of the time the motor was running, even louder on cold starts, and still loud when warm). It could also have been a collapsing lifter, but I haven't gotten around to taking a pushrod to each of the lifters to check, no visible damage to them though... Kinda tough when the parts are 100 miles away...

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
sounds like piston slap. dont beat on your car when its cold. I like mine to get up to the first hash mark (1/3) on the temp gauge, before I drive it.

I would check though, like Zex said, for actual KR and misfires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, I tried to do as much research on any knocking noises before I posted but it doesn't really have me quite at ease. I've had my 2000 Camaro for almost 3 years now and to me it really doesn't sound any different, but someone had tried to point out to be that they hear a rod knock. So now I'm paranoid.

At cold start up, I hear the noise when driving. I can't say I really hear it when at cold idle. I run Supreme gas, change my oil frequently at 3,000 miles, etc. The noise does seem to go away when engine warm, but my exhaust is a little loud to sometimes decipher any noises inside the car. The weather here in PA is obviously getting bone-chilling cold, and I'm getting ready to garage it.

This morning on my way into work, I didn't hear the noise that I hear over the weekend. Am I really getting to be that paranoid?

In all the research that I could find through this forum and others, I'm seeing that the LS1 has a lot of piston knock concerns on cold. Can other LS1 owners confirm? Any tips to get rid of it, remedy it? Should I be concerned more? Any one from the lower central PA region that may know an LS1 tech?

sounds like piston slap. dont beat on your car when its cold. I like mine to get up to the first hash mark (1/3) on the temp gauge, before I drive it.

I would check though, like Zex said, for actual KR and misfires.
The noise is not from the engine but seems to come from the intake manifold and when i turn the car off something falls down in the intake when the air stops moving vacume stops. Its not at all speeding up with the engine just a knock every so often

·
Registered
3 Posts

knock is not in rythum with the engine its once every 2 or 3 seconds even if i speed up can it be something in the intake?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts