Camaro Zone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did the free ram air mod on my 02 FB-V6. Just don't have the $$ for the slp kit right now & this does look like it will help get more air into the engine.
Now my question. I want to remove the big plastic part between the air filter & the throttle body. i know it was installed to deaden the intake sound, but it looks like it would cause a lot of turbulance in the intake air flow.
So my idea is to replace it with a straight metal tube, the problem is that I cannot find any tube of the correct size. I have checked the parts stores & checked an exhaust shop. The pipe needs to be around 3 5/8". Even though the outlet is oval it looks like it will mold around a round pipe.
Any one try this? Any ideas?

·
Registered
57 Posts
But there is a sensor right there on the silencer, so you would also to rig that up.

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
But there is a sensor right there on the silencer, so you would also to rig that up.
... you mean the IAT sensor? I thought that was in the lid. Either way, all you would need to do is drill a hole in the lid with the proper diameter for the sensor grommet. Whisper Lids come with those holes already there.

·
Registered
57 Posts
thats the sensor!! haha um i dont think it is, 90% sure. but the whisper lids have it on it because the whisper lid replaces the silencer and stock rubber pipe, so it takes that out completly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
but also if theres any leaks from that grommet, the SES light will come on constantly. but I want to do the same thing, but I might just find a lid

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
but also if theres any leaks from that grommet, the SES light will come on constantly. but I want to do the same thing, but I might just find a lid
There shouldn't be a service engine soon light from there. It's just a temperature sensor, not an air velocity sensor... But definitely find a lid. They don't make them any more so they are rare when they pop up. They are for 99-02 V6 cars.

·
Premium Member
6,797 Posts
^this

When I had my V6 with a lid I didn't have the proper sized grommet to fill the hole at first so it just dangled in the lid. Never set off an SES light.

·
Registered
57 Posts
oh okay, just wasnt too sure, just guessed and i believe someone told that, so ill trust yall lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
One thought might be to check the Pro-Charger website. I've installed a unit on a C4 vette one time and while not metal the intake hose supplied with the unit was made of rubber (flexible), a large diameter, and I believe oval in shape. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just oreder a pipe, 3 1/2" al. Looks like it will work, I will report as to how every thing comes out. The sensor on mine is on the rubber right after the air cleaner housing, that will stay in place. I am only removing the sliencer. As i said I will report back after I get everything installed.
This is the pipe I ordered--
http://www.allpurposepipes.com/prod...d=279&osCsid=99a4fd9ba3be5746d7082886f3b27ffb

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
I just oreder a pipe, 3 1/2" al. Looks like it will work, I will report as to how every thing comes out. The sensor on mine is on the rubber right after the air cleaner housing, that will stay in place. I am only removing the sliencer. As i said I will report back after I get everything installed.
This is the pipe I ordered--
Aluminum Pipe
You'll have to measure out the proper length it needs to be, and then cut it down (near the ribs so you dont end up with visible weld marks in the center) and have it welded/ground smooth by a professional fabricator, if you want a 100% perfect seal. It may be fine without that, though.

I have seen the silencer delete done with PVC tubing as well.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
goodluck, keep us updated.

Free ram air mod, never been a fan. More like wash your air filter every 500 miles mod LOL.

·
Always Watching...
22,233 Posts
Why not use dryer tubing? Much more flexible, and less likely to gather heat soak than a metal pipe.
The stock lid's oval shape is a PITA to deal with. Your best bet is to find an aftermarket lid, or utilize the stock lid's tubing, because it seals securely around the oval opening of the lid and the other end is round. Attach another piece of tubing/hosing and it should be a piece of cake. I've got a FERNCO "smooth bellow" (3-4" coupler).
Works just fine, although it's attaching my Whisper Lid to the TB.
I too have done the FRAM.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I just did the free ram air mod on my 02 FB-V6. Just don't have the $$ for the slp kit right now & this does look like it will help get more air into the engine.
Now my question. I want to remove the big plastic part between the air filter & the throttle body. i know it was installed to deaden the intake sound, but it looks like it would cause a lot of turbulance in the intake air flow.
So my idea is to replace it with a straight metal tube, the problem is that I cannot find any tube of the correct size. I have checked the parts stores & checked an exhaust shop. The pipe needs to be around 3 5/8". Even though the outlet is oval it looks like it will mold around a round pipe.
http://www.camarozone.com/forum/f15/upgrades-under-300-a-162152/index3.html#post329742

:dunno:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I got the pipe & installed it. looks MUCH betther than the old silencer box. I have only had time to take it out for a quick spin, seems to have more throttle response- even more than with just the FRAM, I will try to get some pics to post in a few days. But at this point I am calling it successful.
Notes- I did have to make a gasket to help the rubber seal on the metal pipe, plus I had to make the inlet oblong to fit the lid outlet. But still only about 1/2 hour for the install

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I just did this mod.. I used a 3” black schedule 40 22.5 degree plumbing elbow in place of the airbox..
I cut 1” off the side that goe into the couple on the throttle body and I cut about 5/8” at an angle off the end that goes into the air filter lid coupler.. Cleaned up the area in between the radiator and the motor..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts