Camaro Zone Forums banner

81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
Do you have any plans for the engine?
Nothing major. My chief method of making it faster is reducing the weight. Considering all the bells and whistles going in, I'll probably only break even at best. That's OK. It's fast enough for me. When and if I make molds of the body, I MAY stick a light weight, carbon fiber copy on a Z28 later on.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
BTW. Just so you know, when I took that last picture I took other pictures too and some of them looked more like the previous pictures you all thought were ugly. In person the car looks like that last pic overall but it's still not very camera friendly and most pics will look like the previous. I figured out why too. I spent a long time working this out so that optical illusions would give the car a look completely alien to what they normally look like without messing with the chassis. These illusions are orchestrated around scale and angles of different parts of the body and how they relate to one and other and has been carefully tuned to the naked eye. When the 3-D distortion of a camera gets involved, it partially undoes those optical illusions and how so depends upon the angle of the photo.

In any case, when the Toyota celica head lights are installed, the nose is going to get a further downward slope and the side of the nose is going to get a visible angle line that should make everything look much better, even for the camera.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
A little bit of progress in smoothing out the body but not much else. Been sick. I'm also almost out of body filler and more is not my top financial priority ATM.

I took it on the freeway and big surprise. The faster the car gets, the smoother it handles. It cuts very smoothly through the air at freeway speed, noticeably better then it did with the original body.

Another big surprise (being that the body is obviously still crusty), everywhere I go in the car people stop and take pictures of it. I took a friend for a ride in it and he told me passengers of other cars were also taking pictures of it.

What drives them to do that, I don't know. Well, one guy at a gas station asked me if I was restoring a damaged Lamborghini, one of my friend's co-workers asked me what Lamborghini model I was copying, and a group of kids in a neighborhood where I went to deal with a craigslist transaction were calling it a Lamaro, so it obviously looks like a banged up Lamborghini to people right now. That may be a clue.

Well, here's some pictures. Top one was taken while walking out of Winco. I took it for my cousin as he wanted to see the car in a public place. Walking movement made it a poor photo.

Second is the good stuff. It shows the clean up work done on the fender in contrast to the rest of the car. Obviously I am making the whole car this smooth. Afterwards I will then be focusing on the very long and meticulous task of fine tuning that and making it as smooth and sharp as a knife.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Some decent daylight pictures. Someone complimented on her yesterday. When I asked him why at this stage, he said he likes the design and the fact that it's a 1 off regardless of whether or not it gets cleaned up. Maybe that's why it's getting so much attention. Well, I hope that goes down a bit when I get her all smoothed out and the nose and tail replaced. This attention is starting to get on my nerves.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Needs a front lip on it to line up with the skirts. ImageUploadedByCamaro Zone1466903350.113998.jpg
I have two I am trying to get rid of of you are interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)
Lol. I appreciate that. Maybe a full bumper cover when i have the cash. You are right. There,s a reason i haven't tried to smooth out anything in front of the front wheel wells. I am still waiting for a friend to rewire it for Toyota celica halo headlights i bought and once that's done, completion of the nose shape will begin. This does not include a skirt but it does include an overall shape that lines up with the center of the car. Back of the car will have an upward slope but that slope will begin at the same level.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Camaro Zone mobile app

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Here you go. This shows details that have not been added yet in red highlights. These are not precise, just basic overview. The blue lines represent cutoff points. This part is VERY basic. Also note that I have already arranged to have to exhaust pipes moved in 6 inches and will be completely covered by mesh mounted on the rear bumper cover.

I messed up on the shape and scale of the spoiler so I added a photo of the spoiler's mold sitting on the car. The picture next to it is one of the headlights I am going to be installing.

The nose has to be radically altered to accommodate the new headlights. What I have in mind is hard to explain but it's somewhere in between the nose of the Lamborghini Aventador J and the Lamborghini Sesto Elemento but not an exact or even very close copy of either.

As for the tail. I am still working on the final design. I am sort of mixing and matching over a dozen different features. It's starting to look like the end result will look like a blend of the Arrinera Venocara, McLaren P1 and Koenigsegg One1, but again, not a copy or close look-alike of any.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Here is a newer picture of it. At this point you can really start to see the "crustiness" smooth out. It's obviously incomplete but at least you can see the grand plan coming together.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I like a good bit of what you've done so far. Mostly from the doors back. Kind of strikes me as a Acura NSX a little bit from one of your picture angles. I like you don't really care what the haters think an really only listen to one's that seem to have creative critiquing. Cheers for having the balls to take this on, no matter how it turns out. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Camaro Zone mobile app

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
The haters have useful information, so I listen to everyone.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
I almost lost it a couple days ago. It broke down in the Sierra mountains and I was on my way to the emergency room when it happened.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
What do you mean you almost lost it? I hope you're alright and the er trip went well.

98 z28 bolt-ons with no tune drag radials [email protected]

02 firebird v6 almost all stock except slp lid and k&n filter

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Exactly what I said. It broke down in the middle of nowhere, over 2 hours from home. Fortunately a friend drove all the way out there and towed it home. I didn't even know I had friends capable of doing it.

Of course, now I need to figure out why it failed. 3 out of 3 mechanics who looked at it gave different theories ranging from a bad fuel pump to warped bearings.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
It might be time to consider upgrading to a z28. All the custom work I did will only take a day or 2 to transfer from one car to another. But I am not sure i am prepared to spend the money. I am moving to Alaska in the spring and I am trying to save every penny I can for the move.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
By lost it I was thinking it almost got stolen or almost wrecked it.

98 z28 bolt-ons with no tune drag radials [email protected]

02 firebird v6 almost all stock except slp lid and k&n filter

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts
It might be time to consider upgrading to a z28. All the custom work I did will only take a day or 2 to transfer from one car to another. But I am not sure i am prepared to spend the money. I am moving to Alaska in the spring and I am trying to save every penny I can for the move.

If you're moving to Alaska you're going to need a 4 wheel drive truck, not a Z28. :lol:
F-bodies and snow do not mix.

·
Ambitious, but Rubbish
5,300 Posts
If you're moving to Alaska you're going to need a 4 wheel drive truck, not a Z28. :lol:
F-bodies and snow do not mix.
I agree somewhat.

I drove my 95 Camaro (with Blizzaks) through 4 years of Buffalo Winters while in college. The worst part is the ground clearance, but if you head out when the roads are not too deep you're fine with snow tires and a couple sandbags in the well of the 'trunk'. I can't tell you how many 4WD Trucks I passed in the ditch.

That said, it is definitely easier to drive a truck or AWD car in the winter than a F-Body. It isn't for the feint of heart, and less people will ask you for rides places as they'll be scared out of their minds. :lol:

81 - 100 of 134 Posts