Camaro Zone Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much hp do i need to bring my front wheels off the ground? i am curently pushing 350 and it will bark the tires in 3rd but cant raise the wheels off the ground not wanting but about an 1in off the ground

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
You don't want to. Worry About putting all your power to the ground. You can have 1000 horsepower and not have it set up to pull the wheels. However, you could get a trans brake and a built transmission... A trans brake will make you launch a lot harder. Drag radials so you don't roast your tires... And how do you figure you have 350hp. At the engine? Got a dyno sheet?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what the guy said it had when i bought the car planning on getting it put on a dyno soon so its also got a 2800 stall and a shift kit.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Yeah I'd do a few power adders and then a trans brake. I do have a question though. Why do you want it to pull the wheels? Like what do you think you're car will get out of that? I've only seen one third gen ever pull the wheels honestly...

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
He probly watched the fast and furious where Doms charger pulls the wheels up. Even if u did get enough hp, don't the 3rd gens have problems with the chassis twisting once im they reach so much hp?

Reactions: ZexGX

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts
don't the 3rd gens have problems with the chassis twisting once im they reach so much hp
Yep, especially the T-Top 3rd gens.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Also, the front of our cars are long low and heavy. Meaning that it's not easy to pull them up, but when you do there's a good chance they will slam down pretty hard...

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
You'll need to get your 60' times down to between 1.3 and 1.6 seconds. To do that, just work on everything you need to hook at the track (tires, suspension, driveline mods), and add about 50 horsepower if it is at 350 WHEEL horsepower. Honestly, the previous owner sounds like a douche if he just said 350 horsepower and never actually checked it with a dyno. So, start by getting it dyno'd. Ask the speed shops in your area if they have any dyno days scheduled so you can get a few pulls in for a baseline power level reading for your car. If at the track, you are dead hooking and running times 7.7 or higher in the 1/8th, keep adding horsepower/torque and if it's an auto, think about getting an aftermarket torque converter that properly matches up to the torque curve (there's guides on how to choose a torque converter - converter companies will also help you with recommendations based on a dyno sheet.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
This is silly.
Agreed.

It's not so much about power, it's how well it hooks and sticks...

You want to get the tires off the ground, start with a Dana or Ford 9" rear (something that'll hold together from the massive torque required) and tub the car out...then get some sticky racing slicks because nothing you'd buy off the shelf would help...

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Agreed.

It's not so much about power, it's how well it hooks and sticks...

You want to get the tires off the ground, start with a Dana or Ford 9" rear (something that'll hold together from the massive torque required) and tub the car out...then get some sticky racing slicks because nothing you'd buy off the shelf would help...
You don't need a Dana 60 or a 9" or a tub to lift the front tires an inch. Just some 8" wide 15"-16" wheels with a good drag radial on them like a Mickey Thompson ET Street or Nitto NT05R at the right pressure, and of course the right power at launch, and the suspension to keep that power going in a straight line down the track.

·
CZ's Turbo Gawd
7,943 Posts
Isn't the OP the same person that wants better mileage?

·
Premium Member
6,797 Posts
Okay seriously, figure out what you want. So far for your car you want, better gas mileage, cylinder deactivation, and now you want to pull wheelies. I have a feeling that you will accomplish none of these. Go buy a motorcycle if you want good gas mileage and the ability to do wheelies.

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Okay seriously, figure out what you want. So far for your car you want, better gas mileage, cylinder deactivation, and now you want to pull wheelies. I have a feeling that you will actually take steps to accomplish none of these. Go buy a motorcycle if you want good gas mileage and the ability to do wheelies.
If that's what he wants, my recommendation is:
Buy an LS3 engine and a T56 transmission or 4L80E transmission
Have the LS3 cylinder heads ported for more flow, and reinstall them
Buy all of the stuff you need to adapt it into a third gen F-body
Install it
Buy a nitrous oxide kit and install it with the 125-shot jetting
Have a professional GM-specific dyno tuning shop tune the modified LS3 on an NA tune and with nitrous
Buy sticky tires and drag racing wheels
Disconnect the front swaybar and install a soft drag racing suspension
Buy and install a Quick Performance 9" rear end or a Strange S60 rear end if the stock rear end breaks
Spray the nitrous on launch at the drag strip.

All of that would cost like... $10,000? $15,000? No big deal, right?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.