Camaro Zone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

YOU CAN GO FROM THIS SKANKY LOOK.....

.....TO THIS SLICK, NEW LOOK WITH ONLY A 7$ CAN OF ENGINE PAINT FROM AUTOZONE.
JUST TAKE IT OFF, CLEAN IT SPOTLESS, COVER UP THE SPOTS YOU DONT WANT PAINT TO SEE, AND BAM! I EVENTUALLY SANDED THE 5 LINES ONTOP OF THE INTAKE TO MAKE IT LOOK SLICKER.

OR IF YOU SEE ANY PART THAT IS METAL AND IS SKANKY LOOKING LIKE THE ONE UP TOP, YOU CAN JUST TAKE IT OFF, SAND IT WITH HEAVY GRIT SAND PAPER, THEN LIGHTER SAND PAPER, THEN EVEN LIGHTER SAND PAPER, AND THEN SOME ALUMINUM POLISH, AND YOU WILL HAVE AN ALMOST-CHROME LOOK...LIKE BELOW.
STARTED OUT WITH 320 GRIT TO REMOVE ALL OF THE ROUGHNESS AND GOUGES OF THE INTAKE ELBOW. THEN I MOVED TO WET SANDING WITH 600 GRIT . THEN I WET SANDED WITH 1000 GRIT. THEN I WET SANDED AGAIN WITH 2000 GRIT.

HERE IS MY INTAKE ELBOW PEICE AFTER SANDING IT AND APPLYING MOTHER'S ALUMINUM POLISH.

YOU CAN DO THIS SAME THING TO SOME OTHER PARTS UNDER THE HOOD. LIKE THE WATER PUMP AND THE THERMOSTAT HOUSING.

·
4th Gen (LT1) Tech
1,135 Posts
You painted it pink?

How cute! lol

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
intake looks good! Red is always a good choice for engine paint with most exterior colours.

·
Registered
552 Posts
looks good i almost did that with my upper/lower intakes and valve covers but i didnt have time i needed to get the car back together

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
I have been polishing a bunch of stuff. If you want that mirror polish look you'll have to use a Dremel (or something else with the insanely high RPM that a Dremel has) with a nice cotton polishing wheel & Mothers aluminum polish for the final polish - I recommend doing it with the part OFF the car to avoid the spray of aluminum polish all over the engine bay... lol. If you are very careful you can step up in grit with sanding drums on the Dremel to take out any super-heavy casting marks and then go over the area with sandpaper in increasing grits up from the sanding drum you used, otherwise just using sandpaper works fine.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
hmm.... this makes me want to do this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts