Camaro Zone Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Always Watching...
22,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Started a new thread since other issue has been resolved)
I smell fuel, quite more often than I remember in the past, and definitely more than I like. Usually coming to stop at a light, or idling for a long period of time (stuck in traffic). Or even more so when I have my heater blowing.
I had a similar issue in a 2005 Grand Am that wound up being the ECV that needed replacing. Apparently smelling fuel, especially through the heater is a main symptom. Could it be something like that with my bird?
Was outside and had the hood popped earlier. Checked my oil because I've noticed my Check Oil light has been popping up lately. I just had the oil changed a couple hundred miles ago, so it's not due yet.

Oil looked okay, and was still at the Full mark on the dipstick. I wiped the dipstick and some of the oil ran off onto my finger, as I cleaned my finger, I sniffed the paper towel.
It smelled oddly like gasoline.
This made me wonder for a few minutes and start trying to recall what motor oil should smell like, and whether it did have a hint of gasoline smell in it or not.
I opened the Oil Fill cap and noticed the inside was really grungy, kinda orange and gross. I also noticed the neck that the cap screws onto kinda moves a bit. This makes me wonder if maybe oil is coming up the neck a bit and leaking out through there (since it's loose) because there's a ton of old oil stained all around that area.

I google'd motor oil smelling like gas and didn't like what I found.
I hope someone can offer me some assistance.

I know I've got an oil leak that drips onto my exhaust pipe. I also know that that same pipe has a crack in it, while although small, I'm sure releases quite enough fumes directly beneath the front seats. I wonder if the hot pipe/hot fumes are burning the dripping/old oil and that's why I'm smelling fuel.

(Sorry for the novel)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I have the same leak, and the oil drips on the headers and its a strong distinct smell. Also, when I smell the oil that has been rubbed off of the dipstick it does have a slight gas smell, but im pretty sure thats normal. Do you actually smell gas like your sniffing out of a gas can or something?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Check to make sure that your hose that connects to your gas inlet to your gas tank isnt leaking or dry rotting. Could just be you thinking you smell gas :lol:

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Gee, maybe it's because your car doesn't have a catalytic converter, combined with the fact that oil is burning on your Y pipe... Just so you know, your car is probably just as bad for the environment as mine is. Except, I don't have any oil leaks. :)

P.S. The EVAP system being disconnected or a cracked line in the EVAP system could cause a fuel smell. Also, have your gas cap tested or just buy a new locking one if you still have the stock one.

·
Always Watching...
22,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check to make sure that your hose that connects to your gas inlet to your gas tank isnt leaking or dry rotting. Could just be you thinking you smell gas :lol:
Oh ya, I'm just making this up... :confused:
Gee, maybe it's because your car doesn't have a catalytic converter, combined with the fact that oil is burning on your Y pipe...
I thought that too, but never smelt it as strong as lately.

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
Try wiping and scraping most or all of the oil off of your Y pipe and anything else that gets hot (like the engine... clean it using a degreaser), then see if it still smells as bad. I used to regularly clean the old and burned oil from under my car when it had the leaky 3.8.

·
Registered
400 Posts
my car smells like gas all the time because my gas cap leaks and gas splashes out, so it may b sometheing as simple as that. and its easy to check.

·
Always Watching...
22,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try wiping and scraping most or all of the oil off of your Y pipe and anything else that gets hot (like the engine... clean it using a degreaser), then see if it still smells as bad. I used to regularly clean the old and burned oil from under my car when it had the leaky 3.8.
Going to have to do this sometime soon. Probably be an all day event. :18:
my car smells like gas all the time because my gas cap leaks and gas splashes out, so it may b sometheing as simple as that. and its easy to check.
I seriously doubt it's my gas cap. I've checked that it's secured, inspected for defects. No signs of gas leaking from it (yes I do realize it evaporates quickly). Plus the smell is coming from what seems like the engine bay, not behind me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.