Camaro Zone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my pretty little red birdy for about 8 months now, have enjoyed every bit of it. Even if it is a v6 it seemed peppy enough for me. Something thats been burnin' my ass thought is a red Trans Am at a local dealership(Almost identical to mine). Decided to go up there and do my best to convince the guy to let me get a test drive, wasn't too hard to convince him, simply told him I wanted an upgrade. He agreed to the test drive and even let me take it to a low trafficked straightaway road :icon_twisted:. From the moment I started it I fell in love, the instant rumble, the feel of the gears shifting...and when I gunned it at a rolling 30 mph my pants rose up in the you know where section. I REGRET IT! That little test drive SPOILED me. I'm not saying my v6 is slow...but it ain't fast to me anymore. So I've decided I want to pop a v8 in place of my v6 and I'm curious as to how much trouble its gonna be, how much its gonna cost me, where I can get one, and if I need anything new specifically, like I know the Trans Am's have traction control, v6 doesn't. Any advice or opinions towards my dilemma would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
It's possible to throw a LS1 in place of the 3.8 you've got. I'd only swtich it out if you've gotten a great deal on a donor LS1 from somewhere else. It's much easier to buy a LS1 F-Body before upgrading from a V6 to a LS1 in a V6 car.

Both options have +'s and -'s, depending on your financial situation, skill level, etc...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have 0 skill level so I'd have to pay for the install, as far as just buying a Trans AM...Yeah it would be easier but far less convenient. I'd have to sell my car, come up with a few more grand and frankly, I don't wanna take that much time. But I'm interested in some of the complications that would come from simply swapping engines. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
Well I have 0 skill level so I'd have to pay for the install, as far as just buying a Trans AM...Yeah it would be easier but far less convenient. I'd have to sell my car, come up with a few more grand and frankly, I don't wanna take that much time. But I'm interested in some of the complications that would come from simply swapping engines. Thanks again.
Selling your car, and finding a Trans Am/Formula will most likely be FAR less complicated than finding a Engine, Getting a quote, Paying for an engine, wiring harness, rear-end, transmission and hiring a shop to swap.

Are we talking about a 93-97 or 98-02?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
98-02. And I have to replace the transmission along with the engine? Or do modifications to it? And also it WOULD be cheaper buying the new engine rather than a Trans AM I'd assume. Bought my Firebird for 5k, I can't find any Trans AM that matches the mileage of my car that isn't 10k+

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
98-02. And I have to replace the transmission along with the engine? Or do modifications to it? And also it WOULD be cheaper buying the new engine rather than a Trans AM I'd assume. Bought my Firebird for 5k, I can't find any Trans AM that matches the mileage of my car that isn't 10k+
But add up the price of an LS1 (or LQ9, or whatever you're looking at throwing in).
Price of Rearend
Most Likely a Transmission
Accessories
Labor...

and you've got yourself a new car

What is the exact year of your Firebird?

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
Needed:
  • Complete Engine
  • Transmission (different bolt pattern)
  • Radiator
  • Fuel Pump
  • Engine Harness
  • Throttle Cables and System
  • New Susp. for added weight
  • Steering rack
Plus others specific to each year...

3.4/3.8 V6 to LS1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahh, thats much more work then I anticipated. Sounds more expensive too. I've got a 99 model Firebird btw.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well then here's a ridiculous question. How much effort (or money) would it take to make my v6 have the same power under the hood as the v8s?

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
Well then here's a ridiculous question. How much effort (or money) would it take to make my v6 have the same power under the hood as the v8s?
http://www.camarozone.com/f16/v6-faq-97/

Not recommended, unless you want to spend much more money than it would cost to buy a V8. It'll also be less reliable, and most likely less streetable than just about any Stock V8 that you're trying to keep up with.

Phate's got his right at the limit, I'm sure he can explain this a bit further.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Yeah, like Rocket just said, don't try to put too much power on the 3.8 if it's your DD. If you're going to make it a car that you just take to the track on weekends then you can get good power of out it, but again, you would've been better off financially to start with a LS1. You'd have to do headers, exhaust, heads, intake, cold air, cam (along with this comes valve springs), gears, and nitrous. With the money spent for parts alone you'd be better off selling teh 6 and with the parts money buy a LS1 powered fbody. Plus if you'd have to have all those parts installed then thats more cash for labor, so you'd be able to take that money and invest in aftermarket parts for the LS1.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Sorry it took me so long to reply to the thread, I've been sick the last few days.

Anyway, I agree with what everyone else has said. Unless you find a ridiculously cheap deal on an LS1, its going to be cheaper just to sell the car and buy a TA. My 3.8 is about as fast as I can get it and it still be streetable, and I can barely beat a stock LS1 motor to motor. With the spray its no challenge, but still, if I had put the same amount of money into an LS1, i'd have one hell of a mean machine.

My advice, save the money needed, and sell the car and get your TA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
you might as well just hook up a good cold air intake kit get some good headers an maybe supercharge it that'll blow away that trans am

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
you might as well just hook up a good cold air intake kit get some good headers an maybe supercharge it that'll blow away that trans am
I doubt it. The Powerdyne system they make for the 3.8's (that costs 5 grand may I add) only gives around 40hp. Stock 3.8 comes with 190fwhp. I still think the TA would win.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I doubt it. The Powerdyne system they make for the 3.8's (that costs 5 grand may I add) only gives around 40hp. Stock 3.8 comes with 190fwhp. I still think the TA would win.
x2 stock ls1's with free mods/tune, make much more hp/tq.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Well eh coudl turbo it, using a junkyard turbo, praying to the HP gods that hte turbo is in good shape, and make out like a bandit on low boost. But then agian chances are after all teh money spent plumbing that in it's a turd turbo and he ends up needing to buy another new turbo, or rebuilding it.... yea most mddded 6s are more trouble than they are worth. And N/A a heavy modded 6 barely keeps up with a stock 8.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I`m having the same problem as this guy you are talking too...I have a 2000 Firebird super clean, 77,000 mi. and fully loaded, but it`s a 3.8 V6, and I had plans to drop a V 8 in it...after reading your conversation I think I will sell it....Want to buy a clean Bird? Lol...Just kidding.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts