Camaro Zone Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost my keys (Ignition AND door) for my firebird!

What can I do as far as getting a new key made? It's kind of urgent. And how much would it cost getting one made because of that stupid computer chip?

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts
Any certified mobile locksmith can reproduce both the ignition key with the chip and your door key.
Try calling some for an estimate.

·
Mostly Harmless
1,778 Posts

What can I do as far as getting a new key made? It's kind of urgent. And how much would it cost getting one made because of that stupid computer chip?
lol I'm so ****ing tired.

I was like "wtf how did you lose your door to your firebird, it's kinda huge.

Then I tried to figure out how you lost your ignition, and then it hit me. loooool bedtime.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Hit up the dealer, just bring something showing you owe the car just in case

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
lol I'm so ****ing tired.

I was like "wtf how did you lose your door to your firebird, it's kinda huge.

Then I tried to figure out how you lost your ignition, and then it hit me. loooool bedtime.
i just thought the same thing... and i dont even have an excuse hahaha

·
That's what she said
8,682 Posts
Ya dealer and VIN it might cost a bit, freaking stealerships.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FML. I called the dealer, they couldn't tell me off hand what my resistance in my original key is by the VIN. They said they would need the car down there (Kind of hard since I CAN'T DRIVE IT) And it would cost $84 to put it on the VATS machine, and $30 or so for the keys.

All the local locksmiths told me it would be $250-300, because of the stupid VATS, they would have to put a new ignition in the car, copy the key, and decode the key. Or some crap like that.

This is rediculous. I refuse to pay so much for these stupid damn VATS keys. Is there any way around this?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Called a different stealership. They were able to get the part number and code from my Vin.

Ended up getting both ignition & door key for only $29.16.:rock:

·
Trans Am Supporter :-)
1,051 Posts
awesome!

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts
Called a different stealership. They were able to get the part number and code from my Vin.

Ended up getting both ignition & door key for only $29.16.:rock:
Locksmith should have been able to do that also.
Would have cost more though.

One I play Billiards with can do it from the VIN.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
^same here, VATs bypassed now tho, so wont have to worry about that anymore, now if i lose my car alarm remote im screwwedd

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hey, DMC-4OOEX.
Unfortunately I had the same situation before. Here is some useful information that’s helped me save a lot of time and money. Hope it will help you as well:
I guess there is a huge difference between different keys, models, etc.
Also locksmiths and dealers charge different amounts for the very same key.
It helped me save a lot of money (more than $150).

Generally speaking, to get a replacement key, you have three options:
1.Call an automotive locksmith that offers a mobile service for cars. Here is a phone number for a company that have many different locations and locksmiths: 800-223-1453. I think they work all around the US but not sure. Give them a call and ask.
2.Tow the car to the dealer.
3.Order a key online and have the dealer or locksmith cut and program it for you (if necessary).
Here is the link to read more:

If you do call a locksmith or the dealer, don’t forget to mention some important information so they will check if they have the key blank and the necessary tools to code you the new key:
1.Year, make and model of the car
2.Your exact location including street address and zip (for the locksmith to find you easily)
3.VIN number of the car located on the dashboard – very important
4.Make sure you can show them proof of ownership – otherwise they will not make you a new replacement key.

Regarding the cost, it really depends on the type of key you had.
There are 3 main types of keys:
Non-chip keys: for older models (mostly 2000 and older)
Transponder chip keys – these types of keys must be coded on site with a special machine, otherwise the car wont start. These are more expensive to make
Key fob – push to start – these are the most expensive types of keys. Mostly made for models made after 2015.
The average cost is somewhere between $200-$460. It also depends on your location, time of day, weekend, etc etc.
Here is the link for some additional information:

good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts