Camaro Zone Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 1998 SS with a 5.7L LS1. There is oil in the coolant, but no signs of coolant in the oil - (no milkyness on the oil filler cap even). My question is: is there a possibility that the oil cooler is leaking oil into the coolant? If there is no possibility of being a problem with the oil cooler, is there any other known issue that could be causing it? I have not tried flushing the system yet to see if someone accidently put oil in the coolant tank. The oil in the radiator is also in the reservoir and is definitely brownish, not reddish, so I do not think is from the transmission or steering coolers. I am planning on changing the radiator because this one has a small crack, so I would like to address the oil issue at the same time. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
11,505 Posts
I just purchased a 1998 SS with a 5.7L LS1. There is oil in the coolant, but no signs of coolant in the oil - (no milkyness on the oil filler cap even). My question is: is there a possibility that the oil cooler is leaking oil into the coolant? If there is no possibility of being a problem with the oil cooler, is there any other known issue that could be causing it? I have not tried flushing the system yet to see if someone accidently put oil in the coolant tank. The oil in the radiator is also in the reservoir and is definitely brownish, not reddish, so I do not think is from the transmission or steering coolers. I am planning on changing the radiator because this one has a small crack, so I would like to address the oil issue at the same time. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
How's the power steering fluid? If the system is still factory, there is a metal tube inline with the upper radiator hose, that is the power steering cooler. I had this same issue with my '01 SS. The oil in the coolant was power steering fluid..... AND.... it had mixed both, So there was coolant in the power steering system. Color was brownish. Besides engine oil, this is the only other possibility.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! Mine does have the power steering cooler in the upper hose, but no coolant in the power steering fluid. I have read the nightmares of those coolers, so I will be replacing it with an air cooled one while I have the radiator out.

·
Registered
11,505 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Mine does have the power steering cooler in the upper hose, but no coolant in the power steering fluid. I have read the nightmares of those coolers, so I will be replacing it with an air cooled one while I have the radiator out.
You're welcome. Yeah, definitely change the power steering cooler. I HAD to do mine, As I mentioned before, I had to deal with the nightmare of Having to flush the coolant and power steering systems, because of failure.
Well, only other way you can get oil in the coolant is head gasket. Engine isn't running hot is it?

·
Registered
11,505 Posts
No, and no other signs of where it might have come from. I'm hoping that someone accidentally put oil in the radiator. I will keep you guys posted.
Ok, keep us posted.
Oh, and, I meant the only other way to get coolant in the oil is a head gasket, but that's not your issue. Your issue is oil in the coolant. Which is odd. I would, at the very least try to flush the cooling system. Then see what happens after that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts