Camaro Zone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im working on my full exhaust for my 1998 Camaro Z28 and i figured i would make a thread and keep you guys updated.

Heres the plan in my head...hopefully it works out

Long tube headers into off road y pipe and a single cutout right after into all 3" into a muffler after axle

For the muffler i ended up getting the Flowmaster Super 44 (supposed to be Flowmasters most aggresive muffler) with a 3" inlet and 3" outlet. i was going to just clamp a turn down on it (tips arnt to big of a deal to me) but i thing im going to end up welding one on there

For the headers i got some Hooker longtubes 1 3/4 with a 3" collector. they are ceramic coated, i wanted stainless steel but with my budget and the fact that i wont be driving car in winter i think ceramic will be just fine!

Me holding them hahaha

i am just praying they install goes smooth. i will be getting them on with a lift in a shop instead of jacksatnds in my garage thank god haha

i should be getting the y pipe and cutout i ordered either tomorrow or tuesday and ill put up some pics

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I think im the only LS1 guy on here with flowmasters. I hear my car sounds mean as hell, but ive never heard it rev from outside.

Mr. Luos, or 96gcamaro can vouch for it though.

·
Trans Am Supporter :-)
1,051 Posts
was talking to a guy with the LS1 in a Z28 and he advised me to go with the Flowmaster instead of Magnaflow, because the MF doesn't sound good with an 8 cyl, but the FM rocks, according to him

he has the Flowmaster on his LS1

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
I heard flowmaster, sounds good, but from what I hear, it juts doesnt flow like a magnaflow system, nor does it last as long. Problem is everyone thinks magnaflow is too quiet.

Those LTs should really wake up that ls1.....my budget still isnt allowing them haha

·
Banned
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have a flowmaster on my car right now and iv never had bad comments about it and it sounds good to me so i just decided to keep going in that direction and its only flowmaster muffler. from cutout to muffler will be all 3" custom!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Ummmmm......what?
Magnaflow is all I will EVER use.
Agreed. I'm running long tubes, 3", no cat, and magnaflow and my sh!t sounds like hellfire on wheels. It is a little quiet at low RPMs, for my liking, but I'm used to my straight-piped LT1. I get compliments all day long on the sound.

I used to like Flowmaster but have heard increasingly more negative reviews in the last 5ish years.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
I couldn't stand the sound of the Magnaflow on my LT1. Sounded like a truck. Bleh. Way too quiet too. So much happier with my new exhaust.

And idk, Flowmaster sounds alright, I've just heard that they don't really "flow" that well compared to other exhaust systems, and less flow = less power.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I had Flowmaster 40s on my Chevelle and the drone drove me insane. Every piece of trim in the interior rattled like crazy. I switched to Pypes Race Pro, and it instantly vanished.

Right now the T/A is straight piped and i'm actually satisfied. lol

·
Goes Hard
1,281 Posts
The only flowmasters i heard in person was just a cat back on an LT1. Had some crackle which im not into, Im extremely happy with my GMMG. You'll have to get a sound clip up when done

·
1,051 Posts
Ok Lous, you are insane man!!!! LMAO ... that vid is too wild, you must go through tires like water ffs ... and now I see what people mean by the sound of the Magnaflows ... I now do not know what system to go with ... I originally wanted Dynomax but they stopped selling the whole kit as one so I wouldn't get the full warranty on everything ... more confused then ever now ... lol

Edit: Should clarify that the Dynomax kit for a 1995 Trans Am is what they've stopped selling, not other years ... sucks a$$ cause they sell them for any years other than 1993 to 1997.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
:jawdrop:Wow... Epic, by far the best video of any car that I've seen in a long time. :D

When you did the awesome burnout at 1:42 did you have some sort of brake line diversion so the rear brakes didn't activate or was it just foot braking it and raw power.

I'm leaning toward the second one, because the numbers don't
lie:531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds :rock:

Sorry to get off track but, my freind has a 86 silverado running Dual Flowmasters it sounds good with no rasp or rattling inside or out. While Mr. Luos Trans Am sounds damn good.

IMO its a tough call to weather one is superior to the other, it depends on ones taste, and a way to tell who flows best is to put it on a flow bench.

·
Slow'erAss
10,393 Posts
The car had a line lock on it. Otherwise it is hard to warm up slicks in 2nd gear with the 6 speed.
Pretty sure most of that burnout was spent in 4th gear.... :D

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Ok Lous, you are insane man!!!! LMAO ... that vid is too wild, you must go through tires like water ffs ... and now I see what people mean by the sound of the Magnaflows ... I now do not know what system to go with ... I originally wanted Dynomax but they stopped selling the whole kit as one so I wouldn't get the full warranty on everything ... more confused then ever now ... lol

Edit: Should clarify that the Dynomax kit for a 1995 Trans Am is what they've stopped selling, not other years ... sucks a$$ cause they sell them for any years other than 1993 to 1997.
The TSP Rumbler uses a Dynomax bullet, so it's pretty much the exact same thing, and less than $300. Idk how much it is to ship to Canada tho.

·
1,051 Posts
Yeah I still have your comment on my page about that one (which I truly do appreciate that you took the time to let me know since I'm not mechanically inclined, to put it mildly lol), I would just prefer to get the whole system as a kit, so to say, so that I get the full warranty from start to finish.

Buying it by pieces doesn't give me that peace of mind :icon_sad: (as you can tell, I tend to keep my vehicles, have had the Beaumont for over 10 years now and would like to do the same with the TA)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The car had a line lock on it. Otherwise it is hard to warm up slicks in 2nd gear with the 6 speed.
Pretty sure most of that burnout was spent in 4th gear.... :D
Ah i see, still awesome :rock:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.