Camaro Zone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there all, recent buyer of a 1996 Camaro RS V6! Sadly at the time of purchase I didn't know enough to recognize some of the issues with the car.

Looking to find advice for repairing a bad center bearing in the differential, and a busted pinion valve in the diff too. After that, hoping to fix the broken odometer, do an interior overhaul, and start on some upgrades before classes in August!

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Welcome to the family. Which bearing is the center bearing in the diff? I have also not heard of the pinion valve. Im putting 4.10s in a rear now and rockauto.com has a differential rebuild kit for my 98. Not sure if they have it for your year but its worth a look. Did it tear up the ring and pinion any?

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts
Welcome.
I think you mean center bearing the two piece drive shaft.
See if you can find a one piece drive shaft in a salvage yard and use it instead,

Also, I've never heard of a pinion valve either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the family. Which bearing is the center bearing in the diff? I have also not heard of the pinion valve. Im putting 4.10s in a rear now and rockauto.com has a differential rebuild kit for my 98. Not sure if they have it for your year but its worth a look. Did it tear up the ring and pinion any?
Thanks for the suggestion! Maybe it was a pinion ring or gasket or something?
I'll look into that for sure. I'm not sure myself about which bearing it is, that's what the mechanic told me but it may have been the driveshaft bearing. I don't really take the time to figure out internal diff structure haha

·
Slow'erAss
10,393 Posts
Where in Colorado??
I know a guy that runs a performance shop, and does great work and knows these cars. Brighton area though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts