Camaro Zone Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

This weekend I finally got around to painting my rims and calipers, and i will say easiest thing ever to do. I used rust-o-leum from Autozone, one can of sandable primer, two cans of wheel paint, and one can of clear coat, some acetone, red caliper paint, and about 8 hours total.

Jack up car, remove wheels.
First clean rims and calipers.
Then sand rims.
Clean both with acetone
Tape off the tire and tape all around the caliper
Then Two coats of primers,
followed by three coats of wheel paint,
and two coats of clear coat.

looks awesome pictures later. I would recommend doing it, very easy and the rims look amazing now. Now i am debating on doing the back drums, there kind of rusted.

·
Registered
11,494 Posts
Michaelrulaz said:
Hey Everyone,

This weekend I finally got around to painting my rims and calipers, and i will say easiest thing ever to do. I used rust-o-leum from Autozone, one can of sandable primer, two cans of wheel paint, and one can of clear coat, some acetone, red caliper paint, and about 8 hours total.

Jack up car, remove wheels.
First clean rims and calipers.
Then sand rims.
Clean both with acetone
Tape off the tire and tape all around the caliper
Then Two coats of primers,
followed by three coats of wheel paint,
and two coats of clear coat.

looks awesome pictures later. I would recommend doing it, very easy and the rims look amazing now. Now i am debating on doing the back drums, there kind of rusted.
Coolness Coolios !!! Yes, do the drums. Shouldve done those while u were doing everything else. Knocked'm all out at once.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coolness Coolios !!! Yes, do the drums. Shouldve done those while u were doing everything else. Knocked'm all out at once.
It didnt cross my mind till i was putting on the back wheels, and i kept thinking how dumb i felt. I will probably knock that out this weekend. I need to have my front rotors spun for the surface rust, and i will probably change my back brakes when i am doing it.

Pic attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Wheel looks good, but did you spray both front and back? Looks like you still had some trouble with some seepage/over-spray on your tire, but overall it's good.

Why spin the rotors? Wouldn't using your brakes peel that rust right off? Or are you doing it to keep your new paint nicer or to also paint the rotor hats?

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only sprayed the front, i didnt want to lay the rim over (even though the paint dried it takes like 24 hours to get a good solid dry thats not scratchable) but i will do that soon. i thought about the overspray, my first tires i taped up really well but that i thought it was a waste of time because the tire is black and will be cleaned and it was taking forever to tape.

As for the rust, i dont want to apply the brakes to remove it because it just blows it onto the rims and one of the main reasons i painted the rims (besides liking black rims) is because the rust had stained the rim and no matter how much i scrubbed with chemicals it wouldnt come off and my only other option was sanding blasting them. I dont know i want to paint them. black would blend with the rims but red would take away from the calipers.

·
Registered
11,494 Posts
I've used a Wipeless, spray on, let sit for 10 minutes and hose off chrome wheel cleaner. And it worked wonders on the back inside of my wheels made them look like new. Took a few times to get all of it but was pretty impressive. Has some kind of acid cleanser in it. Can't leave it on for over the 10 minutes tho, as the manufacturer warns about possible wheel damage .. The cleaner is pretty potent. But worked wonders.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had thought of possibly taking the tires off and acid dipping it, but i didnt want it to effect the rims. Painting them also helped hide some slight damage to two of the rims. when i was 16, first month of having my car my girlfriend bet that i couldnt pass a bus on the way to school. well the i switched lanes passed the bus cut over right as i had to go around a large turn, tried to slide it, the possi didnt like that very much and we started going to a ravine, so i turned the car into the median and my wheels hit the curb on the spinout. and put a small bend in two of them... dumb moments from when i was younger.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I've used a Wipeless, spray on, let sit for 10 minutes and hose off chrome wheel cleaner. And it worked wonders on the back inside of my wheels made them look like new. Took a few times to get all of it but was pretty impressive. Has some kind of acid cleanser in it. Can't leave it on for over the 10 minutes tho, as the manufacturer warns about possible wheel damage .. The cleaner is pretty potent. But worked wonders.
Probably an acid similar to "Wire Wheel Acid" in that product. The stuff works great, but you have to neutralize it often. Think you can pretty much only get it at auto body/heavy equipment supply shops now, though.

·
Registered
11,494 Posts
OUCH!!!!!! An acid dip wouldn't hurt the wheels in general. Just the finish. But if ur painting them anyway that could've been a way to go.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I would suggest, rather than painting the rear drums, buy a new pair, and before you put them on, have them powder coated. It will take more of a beating than paint. I had thought about that, but I am going to have my rear end converted to disc brakes, so i'll have calipers all around.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Damn! The wheels look pretty clean with the paint job, now I'm super tempted to paint my Camaro's original salad shooter wheels black. You painted yours a high gloss black right? How glossy is it?

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
I see one problem however. You sprayed over the wheels weights, which mean whenever you have your wheels balanced it will expose a nice gray wheel weight outline and you'll have to touch it up. Oh well no big deal, did a good job though.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used the black paint fro rust-o-leum and it wasnt flat black but it wasnt that glossy, to acheive the glossy look i have, i used two layers of rust-o-luem clear gloss. if you dont use the gloss and maybe just a regular clear coat or nothing at all than it shouldnt be as glossy. all in all the the rims costed only $25, each can costed roughly $6. and the calipers costed only $7.

I kind of like the idea of having calipers on all the wheels, i might look into that.

R6Biker- Yeah i thought of that, but my wheels are still fairly good, and its not my daily driver, so they will last a while. But when i do get new wheels, i am going to either buy z28 rims, or if i keep these i am going to strip them and have them powder coated, or i will spend more time and paint the the entire rim.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Yeah calipers& disc brakes would be a really good idea. You can go to a salvage yards or eBay or something and up grade your 97 with the 98 & up f body rear disc. They are better than the earlier ones. And thanks for the gloss info, I'll **** around and put 3 or 4 layers of gloss on my wheels. I like a really glossy black

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Yeah calipers& disc brakes would be a really good idea. You can go to a salvage yards or eBay or something and up grade your 97 up the 98 & up f body rear disc. They are better than the earlier ones. And thanks for the gloss info, I'll **** around and put 3 or 4 layers of gloss on my wheels. I like a really glossy black
Just remember that when you upgrade to four wheel disc, you may also need to upgrade your master cyliner.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just remember that when you upgrade to four wheel disc, you may also need to upgrade your master cyliner.
Very true, depending on the cost i may do it in the next week or so.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Go here, put in what you are looking for, and it will show you who has them and for how much. I found one rear assembly with disc brakes for a 97 camaro near you for $500. That is a whole lot cheaper than rebuilding the one you have in the car and coverting it, which will run about $1500.

http://car-part.com/index.ht

1 - 18 of 18 Posts