Camaro Zone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Always Watching...
22,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure many of you have done this. I really like the look. Just curious as to how to go about doing this mod. I was on the Auto Zone site and saw they sell a spray can of caliper paint. I've never done any painting on a car so I want to do it right. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'd first use a brush on rust killer, it acts as a primer also, then use a high heat paint such as plasti-cote engine paint. So the heat from the brake doesn't cause the paint to flake off. It should hold up good with any high temp paint.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
http://www.camarozone.com/f31/what-i-did-weekend-2742/ <- Click there to see pics from when I did my fronts. :)

I did mine, bought the brush on paint kit from Autozone. Directions are included. Basically just spray the caliper with the provided spray cleaner, scrub with a toothbrush, wipe off caliper with a towel, stir paint, apply paint. Thats basically it, like I said, the kit comes with directions, and it's impossible to mess this up. Definitely worth it.

·
Always Watching...
22,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks awesome man. :coolpics: Are you going to do the Rear Calipers? I was looking at the spray on paint from auto zone. Is the brush on better? Did you primer it at all? Those are stock wheels right? That's what I want to do to mine. I bet it's alot of work. What paint did you use for the wheels?:dunno:

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Yep, hopefully doing the rear calipers this weekend. Last couple of weekends has been too humid. Brush on isn't necessarily better, I just got it because for an extra $3 I got the caliper cleaner, and no primer is needed. Yep, stock wheels, hardest part is masking off the lip. My friend used a type of paint called duracoat thats mainly used for painting guns and it will never rust. You can use regular spray paint instead though. Here's a how-to for spray can painting that holds up rather nicely. -> thegr8schlotzky's 1996 Chevrolet Camaro on CarDomain - Page 3

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I painted mine with the same kit FirebirdPhil used. It will look really nice if you take your time and do it right. I did it to mine about 6 months ago and it's held up great, no flaking anywhere.

·
drop top cruzer
9,306 Posts
well I'm getting ready to paint my calipers, so I had to see what it would look like with my ss wheels....lol

so anybody want to donate some money for tires...:D

·
drop top cruzer
9,306 Posts
well I finally finished my calipers, man that sh*t is time consuming and yes I no my underside is drity...lol
let me know what you think.

·
Always Watching...
22,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You use brush on or spray? Looks good man. You went all the way to the back. I made a cut off point about half way back. Figured no sense in painting all the way to the back since it's not visible. How come you painted the bracket on the rears but not the fronts? Take some steel wool and take off all that grunge on your disks and the front brackets.

·
drop top cruzer
9,306 Posts
theres not a bracket on the front like the back, and when I put the wheels back on and drive it the rust will be gone...lol

·
Always Watching...
22,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haha, true that. That's how I felt when I did my girlfriend's mom's black mustang's calipers red. Yikes! I used spray and she was over my shoulder every 2 minutes looking for overspray. haha.

·
Always Watching...
22,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did. But remember when the database fell through, and Rocket had to drop the forums back a month or so? It erased all my posts. This thread had at least 3 or 4 pages before the database crash. Now it just barely made 2.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts