Camaro Zone Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Camaro and im going to be doing the interior when the weather breaks. Im looking to paint the panels, has anyone done this with any success? And what paint did you use and the steps?

Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone

·
Registered
11,492 Posts
I have a 95 Camaro and im going to be doing the interior when the weather breaks. Im looking to paint the panels, has anyone done this with any success? And what paint did you use and the steps?

When I did my 92 Camaro I used Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric paint. It turned out great!!

Prep:
Clean panels thoroughly before applying paint. I can't stress this enough.
ImageUploadedByCamaro Zone1454077919.469130.jpg

Posted from iPhone 5s using Camaro Zone Mobile App

·
Registered
413 Posts
I can't imagine that any paint is going to hold up very long with human interaction. If I WERE going to paint the panels in my car I'd use Testers model spray paint. Still I wouldn't recommend it.

If it were me I'd go to Hancock fabrics and get something out of their $5 bin and some hobby super glue from a hobby shop ($25 for a HUGE bottle and it holds up indefinitely unlike other super glues) and just do it that way.

If you HAVE to spray paint, make sure you use 3 or more layers of a strong lacquer. The spray wood lacquer (gray and black cans) at Lowes is actually pretty good, though they will slightly yellow over time. Still better then all the finish rubbing you will inevitably face. You'll see far less of it with laquer then without.

·
Registered
11,492 Posts
Thanks boys. Ercmann how long has it lasted?

Well, I wrecked (totaled) my car about a year after. So, who really knows how long it would've lasted. It was still holding up pretty good.
This is when I got my SS.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any pics on how it came out? And what color did you use?

·
Registered
11,492 Posts
I can't imagine that any paint is going to hold up very long with human interaction. If I WERE going to paint the panels in my car I'd use Testers model spray paint. Still I wouldn't recommend it.

If it were me I'd go to Hancock fabrics and get something out of their $5 bin and some hobby super glue from a hobby shop ($25 for a HUGE bottle and it holds up indefinitely unlike other super glues) and just do it that way.

If you HAVE to spray paint, make sure you use 3 or more layers of a strong lacquer. The spray wood lacquer (gray and black cans) at Lowes is actually pretty good, though they will slightly yellow over time. Still better then all the finish rubbing you will inevitably face. You'll see far less of it with laquer then without.
It'll hold up, "prep"'before painting is key! Plus using the right kind of paint. The paint I posted previously ^^ was designed just for that.

Any pics on how it came out? And what color did you use?

No pic's. I didn't have a camera then. I used black

·
Registered
368 Posts
People liquid wrap parts of their interior all the time! I "dipped" the center console in my Honda a few months ago when I first got the car, and it looks great. I did plain black, and looking at it you wouldn't know the difference between it and the OEM finish. I clean and wipe it down with Meguiar's interior cleaner all the time; haven't had any peeling, rubbing, smudging or staining on it.

Before:

After:

Just my two cents, I know some people aren't a fan of "dip", but I've had good results with it. This was my first time using it, but if I had warmed the spray can up a bit it would have come out much, much smoother. But the cool thing is, if I ever want to do it over, I can just peel it off and do it again.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I know it's more time consuming and expensive but have any of you ever considered coating these parts with carbon fiber?

It'll cost you a bit to get started but a start will cover a huge portion of your car's interior.

Most of the carbon fiber interior work I am doing now involves reshaping and even replacing parts which is on a whole different level of difficulty but most of the straight coating I've done so far has been remarkably easy.

I would think it wouldn't be all that difficult for the average person to do. And polished carbon fiber especially produces a very rewarding outcome.

·
Registered
413 Posts
People liquid wrap parts of their interior all the time! I "dipped" the center console in my Honda a few months ago when I first got the car, and it looks great. I did plain black, and looking at it you wouldn't know the difference between it and the OEM finish. I clean and wipe it down with Meguiar's interior cleaner all the time; haven't had any peeling, rubbing, smudging or staining on it.

Before:

After:

Just my two cents, I know some people aren't a fan of "dip", but I've had good results with it. This was my first time using it, but if I had warmed the spray can up a bit it would have come out much, much smoother. But the cool thing is, if I ever want to do it over, I can just peel it off and do it again.
I would never use plasti dip on the outside of a car but for smaller. "dug in" parts it has it's place. In several coats with some sort of powder texture added between them you have a more or less thick plastic cover on it. Nothing wrong with that.

It needs to be redone but for now here is a tutorial I made on making rubber handgun grips using plasti dip. If I wanted to use plasti dip on a car interior, I would do roughly the same thing except sand things down with a rough sandpaper in stead of the notches and use a finer alternative to the pumice stone. Maybe something of the same ggrit as powdered sugar.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Interior paint

Try talking to your local paint supply. There are additives for the auto paint that will make it work for interior parts. Also Eastwood has some products geared toward interior. I used to do interior repair. There are so many options. Acetone will do wonders with some plastic parts, But could also wipe it out if not careful.. Its best to test the back side to see if it will melt. The acetone bites in and the color stays well.

·
Registered
368 Posts
If I wanted to use plasti dip on a car interior, I would do roughly the same thing except sand things down with a rough sandpaper instead of the notches and use a finer alternative to the pumice stone. Maybe something of the same ggrit as powdered sugar.
Why would you sand the interior panels before dipping? You don't need to do that for interior or exterior panels. That'd actually make it much harder to peel off.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Try talking to your local paint supply. There are additives for the auto paint that will make it work for interior parts. Also Eastwood has some products geared toward interior. I used to do interior repair. There are so many options. Acetone will do wonders with some plastic parts, But could also wipe it out if not careful.. Its best to test the back side to see if it will melt. The acetone bites in and the color stays well.
I haven't tested it on interior car surfaces but when it comes to cleaning paint brushes and the like, rubbing alcohol has given me far better results than acetone with every kind of substance. I would give that a try too.

Why would you sand the interior panels before dipping? You don't need to do that for interior or exterior panels. That'd actually make it much harder to peel off.
That's exactly the point. I don't want it to peal off.

·
Registered
368 Posts
lol, even if you don't want it to peel off, you don't need to destroy your panels by sanding them...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Denatured alcohol

I haven't tested it on interior car surfaces but when it comes to cleaning paint brushes and the like, rubbing alcohol has given me far better results than acetone with every kind of substance. I would give that a try too.

That's exactly the point. I don't want it to peal off.
I used the denatured alcohol sometimes also. One type of interior dye was water based so I mixed it 50/50. It flashed off much faster especially when you use a blow dryer. The water based worked, but that was for used car dealerships where they are trying to move cars fast. I don't think it would last for ever.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts