Camaro Zone Forums banner
4K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  joedabbs2001 
#1 ·
I was checking out the insatll university web link and was looking at the porting of the MAF. Has any one done it and can you tell a difference for the work involved? How about the thorttle body? I am looking for some of the cheap, do it yourself simple stuff I can do at home with limited supplies. I need a fully furnished garage now. :humpmonkey:

#2 ·
The Descreened MAF can backfire.(CEL) The Ported MAF does make a slight increase in throttle response. Dunno about enough to make a diff on the ol butt dyno. But according to the dyno it does make a diff.

#3 ·
I just ordered a fast toys intake for the MAF, a new SLP 85mm MAF and the smooth elbow behind the MAF. I got the SLP air lid so I am hoping that will add around 10 to 15 hp on the wheels. I am going to get a Flowmaster series 50 put on tomorrow, we will see what it does to it then. Did I mention I love this car?

#4 ·
Don't mess with the MAF.

Leave the stocker alone. It is good for 500+ RWHP and is calibrated for our PCM.
Unlike the aftermarket ones that lean the motor out to gain power.

#18 ·
Do you ever plan on getting your car tuned at a reputable place? If so, then keep all of the goodies you have.

I've NEVER in my life seen ANY sort of bolt-on part that makes a car run EXCESSIVELY lean, EVER. The computer is set to hit the magic 11.8-1 AFR. You bolt-on something that puts in more air, the computer adds more fuel to bring it back to 11.8-1, period. You have knock sensors, oxygen sensors, IAT sensors, etc........You guys act like his car is going to grenade. Go talk to studderin at New Era. His car has like $300.00 into it in hp goodies, runs low 12's. A home-made ram air, a cat-back, ported TB, a few little tweaks here and there, and a dyno tune. He picked up over 10hp from his TB mod. He wants to hit 11's without headers with a 6-speed, and he will.

#17 ·
Because those people are bolton only. Here's a little saying that you can take to heart.

"You can run rich all you want, you can only run lean once."

That's why I say for you sir, stay with your stock MAF. IF you -must- upgrade, descreen it.

#19 ·
To this day...I swear that SLP MAF cost me $500 in towing costs. Iowa to Colorado.
Mixed with a touch of bad gas, and no tune with a smaller cam....it got to Iowa without issue.
Next morning...didn't make it a mile.

Stock MAF leans you out...giving power. Also requires a VERY good tuner to adjust it.
It is a worthless mod. Don't waste your money on it.

#21 ·
To this day...I swear that SLP MAF cost me $500 in towing costs. Iowa to Colorado.
Mixed with a touch of bad gas, and no tune with a smaller cam....it got to Iowa without issue.
Next morning...didn't make it a mile.

Stock MAF leans you out...giving power. Also requires a VERY good tuner to adjust it.
It is a worthless mod. Don't waste your money on it.
No tune plus a small cam= bad idea. The cam changes everything and you know this.

I'm done with this thread.

#20 ·
All I can say is thanks. It can in today and you have talked me out of it. I am not going to pull the screen off because it is a street car. I have a fast toys ported pieces for it so I am going to see if they will mount and keep the screen. Thanks for all of the help. I am going to try to see if WS-6.com will take it back.

#22 ·
Of course I do.
Talked to several people that have ran larger cams untuned and they didn't have a lean condition.
I was detonating so badly it bent a plug electrode. That wasn't the cam....

Just stick to the stock MAF. Much easier to tune the stocker as well....if you get to that point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.