Camaro Zone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, long story short, my 1999 Camaro has a blown head gasket. Since it was my first car, I couldn't bring myself to junk it (parents paid for a new car, and the Camaro is worth about $1,000 or less in its current state). The cost to take the engine out and check to see if the blown head gasket was fixable, costs about as much as a replacement engine alone. So we decided not to chance spending all the money just to find out it can't be fixed, and then get a new engine. We also figured, as I commute about 80 miles total a day, replacing the engine just wasn't worth it for the old car. So anyway, this summer, I would like to attempt to remove the engine myself and see if it can be fixed (but not necessarily fix the engine myself). If it can be; great, I get my baby back. If I totally mess up somewhere... well the car isn't worth too much anyway. I would like tips or instructions on how to get this done, and what I would need to do it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I must admit this is probably WAY too big of a job for me, but at least I will learn a good amount about engines and such haha. Thank you for the information. Well actually, if I do need a new engine, I was hoping to upgrade to a V8, so those links are actually more helpful than you may have thought.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Yeah man thats how I learned to do engine swaps. I started the job not knowing much about it at all. After 3 months (took so long because of work and walking everywhere took most of my time and the car wasn't even at my house) I had completed the swap on my own, and learned damn near everything about under the hood of a car. It was a 3800 swap from a grand prix

Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone

·
Flowmaster Sucks :D
6,699 Posts
Jump in. Have all the tools you need. Drain pans. Rags. The step by step. If you're worried about losing track of every thing, get little tags and label EVERYTHING. Will help immensely. And make it less difficult to piece back together.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but is it true that to remove an engine on the 4th gens it has to be dropped out from under, and the new engine has to be put in from the underside?

Borlas: Because no kid grew up dreaming to rev a Prius

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but is it true that to remove an engine on the 4th gens it has to be dropped out from under, and the new engine has to be put in from the underside?

Borlas: Because no kid grew up dreaming to rev a Prius
Well you could take it from the top, but it is far easier and was meant to drop out the bottom with the front suspension.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Id go to ebay and buy your factory service manuals for your Camaro, I bought mine for my 98 firebird and the attention to detail to torque specs will help you not only doing the job but learning about your engine, Best money ive spent. It not that bad of a job, go for it man ! Just take your time !

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts