Camaro Zone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, after doing the rear brakes, I went for a test drive. When I got back I noticed one of my rims was brown looking. I thought it was something that would wash off, so I took it through a car wash, nothing happened. On further inspection, I noticed that it's rust. Does anyone have any idea on if that can come off, and how to take it off? Also, what are some ways that I can just clean my rims I general, to get the old brake dust off.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot the picture, whoops

ImageUploadedByCamaro Zone1466694958.619878.jpg

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Idk if it would work on rims or not but I've heard water and aluminum foil does the trick. Get it wet and scrub it with aluminum foil

Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone

·
Registered
368 Posts
Simply removing the rust won't keep it away - get them coated in something afterward. Aluminum wheels should not be scrubbed with abrasives or any cleaner with lye in it.

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts
That's brake dust rust. You need a good wheel cleaner / brake dust remover.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the suggestions, I was thinking about the Coke trick as well, haha.

Any recommendations for a good wheel cleaner?

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions, I was thinking about the Coke trick as well, haha.

Any recommendations for a good wheel cleaner?
I've heard and read that Simple Green works great.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, I'll try that

·
Registered
368 Posts
I use Simple Green as well. Usually when I go to the car wash I spray my wheels down with it, then rinse it off with the soap/rinse just to clean them up a little.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts