Camaro Zone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 V6 Camaro. When I bought the car, the brake pedal would go to the floor, I thought OK, this brake fluid looks like shit! That is a problem! So, I just replaced the Master Cylinder and bled the system until that crap fluid was completely gone. Now, the pedal stops just above the floor. The car actually stops now, but there is still way too much pedal travel. I'm pretty stumped. I had to "bench" bleed the new Master Cylinder while mounted in the vehicle, because I had no vice to use. It came with the bleed kit though. I know there was no air in the lines when I was done. There are no warning lights on except the Check Engine Light, which is on because of the CAT and IAT sensor. Someone please help me! I have never seen this happen before. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Have you checked your REAR BRAKES. The rear brakes are what give you most of your pedal travel. you probably need to bleed them out. Wouldn't hurt to do your front ones too. When you took the lines off your master cylinder, it allowed air to get into those lines.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
fingerprintguy said:
Have you checked your REAR BRAKES. The rear brakes are what give you most of your pedal travel. you probably need to bleed them out. Wouldn't hurt to do your front ones too. When you took the lines off your master cylinder, it allowed air to get into those lines.
+1 and check the pads

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does need rear pads, but that isn't going to make the pedal normal again, it will make it slightly better, but it won't make the pedal stop feeling like a sponge. I'm starting to think that I need to have the ABS looked at. Maybe it needs to have the ABS bleed procedure performed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brake pedal adjustment?

Does any body know if there is an adjustment for the pedal itself? Keep in mind that the car stops good. There is just too much brake pedal movement.

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts
It does need rear pads, but that isn't going to make the pedal normal again, it will make it slightly better, but it won't make the pedal stop feeling like a sponge. I'm starting to think that I need to have the ABS looked at. Maybe it needs to have the ABS bleed procedure performed.
Feel like a sponge is the keyword here.
There's air in the system and yes the ABS procedure probably needs to be done, or it needs to be bled with a positive pressure bleeder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I replaced the rear brake pads, and bled everything again, everything feels great now. Thank you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts