Camaro Zone Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Today I heard a ticking sound. I can hear it when I have everything off (A/C, radio, etc.). It's mainly audible under a load, or simply when you rev it in park. If you do a slow rev, the ticking increases its speed and goes away at about 2500 rpms. I called my stepdad (a mechanic) and told him about it and he thinks its an exhaust leak. Why would I all of a sudden have an exhaust leak? I was thinking it was a lifter or something, because I'd heard of that before. I'm a total noob regarding engines, so yeah. Any suggestions? By the way, I checked the oil level and everything is good. With the car idling, the ticking is heard more under the car. If I lift the hood and lean over the engine, I can barely hear it.

As I said, TOTAL NOOB.

·
Always Watching...
22,233 Posts
When you had your little off-roading incident last month, did you maybe knock your muffler or piping around. Maybe the edge of the street cracked something. Get under your car and look around.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
its a bomb.....J/K yeah just take a look under your car and see if you didnt knock off something.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about that. I've noticed a slight ticking sound before, just all of a sudden it got worse. There's a very small hole in the exhaust pipe near the rear axle where it was crappily welded together. But the ticking/tapping is louder toward the front, and under the car. I can hear it on partial throttle and while accelerating/decelerating mostly. When I'm holding a constant speed, it's still there, but quieter. Obviously it isn't anything too serously, as I wouldn't have been able to make it to work and back today (30 miles) and the 150 mile trip back to my parents house so that my stepdad could look at it tomorrow at the shop. I'll have news then, hopefully good news or "not so bad" news. It just sucks cuz I'm still not on my feet yet after moving to north Georgia. Just got a job last week (finally). Still broke however and can't afford to be shelling out money, so I'm easily bothered by every little thing that's not right. I'll get through it though. Wish me luck ha ha.

·
Token Firebird Owner
9,914 Posts
I'm thinking it's an exhaust leak. Check to make sure all EGR/AIR bolts are tightened down along with most of the exhaust manifold bolts, and jack the car up and secure it, then crawl under and inspect all the exhaust piping.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Did your gas millage decrease as well as power? If so you might want to check if you have a dead cylinder. it might be a bad fuel injector. same thing happened with my moms Cadillac eldorado. Chased that stupid thing for months.

hope it helps.:D

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gas mileage has not decreased and there's no loss in power. I had the car on a lift today at the shop while it was running. There is an exhaust leak near the middle of the car, but when you get close to it, it's not the sound I'm hearing. The sound is more pronounced at the engine, and it's definitely in the engine. Stepdad says it's a lifter tapping and to just take it easy. It's not getting any worse and I've driven in over 700 miles since I first heard it. I don't want to be driving it, but I have no other choice. I'm broke and I have no other vehicle to drive. If the tapping gets worse, I'll definitely figure out another way to go about this. I'm just gonna be easy on it. No hard accelerations. Wish me luck guys.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol if it were lifter tick, I would worry. Get that fixed as soon as possible!
I know. That's what sucks about having a mechanic as a stepdad. Nothing ever gets done when it needs to. Do you still have your 3.8 by any chance?? lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok, i have a similar problem (not to hijack the thread or anything...)
i got offered a 98' camaro standard coupe today for 3,700 EXCELLENT SHAPE, carfax came clean, no accidents, anything
new fuel pump, new belt, new brakes, and tires are brand new as well
only 43k miles!
here's the kicker though...it ticks
when idleing it's not very loud, but when you drive it (especially around 2,000 rpms) it really picks up in intensity and sound a little bit
i'm not sure what it could be (lifter, rod in cylander?), but any help is appreciated, especially how much parts might run..
thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
my lifters started ticking after the head gasket was blown, my mechanic quoted 16hrs labor + the $100 gasket which = about $900. we ended up putting a remanufactured motor in ourselves for about $2300.

P.S. sorry for any grammar mistakes, i've been drinking a'lil

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After about a week of driving back and forth to school and work, the noise hasn't gotten any worse. Of course I'm still worried about it and as soon as I get the money it will be getting fixed. I've had about 10 different guys listen to it personally and they all seem to agree that its a lifter tick. I'm also smelling oil a lot more than usual after driving, but I can't find any new leaks. I have a rear main seal leak that's been there since I bought the car. I'm not losing anough oil to cause a problem. The oil level is great everytime I check it. Also, the noise definitely is not there until the engine is warm. When I start it up first thing in the morning, I let it sit for about 2 or 3 minutes and it doesn't tick. I even rev it a little and I hear nothing. When the engine reaches its normal operating temp, it starts the tick. It's just weird.

·
Registered
826 Posts
When I first star my car I hear a ticking sound as well but as the engine warms up it goes away, all I hear after its warm is kinda of a squeak and whistle sound, almost like the belt is loose, but it feels fine

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys. Today I heard a ticking sound. I can hear it when I have everything off (A/C, radio, etc.). It's mainly audible under a load, or simply when you rev it in park. If you do a slow rev, the ticking increases its speed and goes away at about 2500 rpms. I called my stepdad (a mechanic) and told him about it and he thinks its an exhaust leak. Why would I all of a sudden have an exhaust leak? I was thinking it was a lifter or something, because I'd heard of that before. I'm a total noob regarding engines, so yeah. Any suggestions? By the way, I checked the oil level and everything is good. With the car idling, the ticking is heard more under the car. If I lift the hood and lean over the engine, I can barely hear it.

As I said, TOTAL NOOB.
seems to be coming from the intake speed of engine does not affect rythum of the sound

1 - 14 of 14 Posts