Camaro Zone Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 V6 Camaro and want to give it a meaner sound to it. I've looked into the cat back systems and I'm thinking about getting one. I'm not sure if I want to replace it all, so my question is, could I keep all the piping/muffler I have and just put dual tips after the muffler? Or would I just be better off getting a new system? Will just the tips give it the better sound?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,494 Posts
I have a 1998 V6 Camaro and want to give it a meaner sound to it. I've looked into the cat back systems and I'm thinking about getting one. I'm not sure if I want to replace it all, so my question is, could I keep all the piping/muffler I have and just put dual tips after the muffler? Or would I just be better off getting a new system? Will just the tips give it the better sound?

Thanks!
If the exhaust is factory, it is 17 years old. Not much life left. Yes, you could just replace the pipes rear of the muffler, but that won't really change the cars sound. The muffler will have the most impact on the sound of it. If you can afford it, get a whole complete cat back system (MagnaFlow is my choice).

·
Registered
2,205 Posts

Thanks!
The tips do little to enhance the sound of the exhaust (unless they're huge, then they act as megaphones)...the real sound comes from the diameter of pipe as well as the type of muffler you use...personally, I would just change the muffler to a louder one, but you won't really get a "mean" sound out of a V6...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya I know I wont get it out of the V6. And I guess I poorly worded my message. I would replace the muffler too. Just trying to find out the best option! Thanks!

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
A v8 will give it a meaner sound.

Sent from my Z796C using Camaro Zone mobile app

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Many people claim that using stock V8 exhaust from cat to exit will give the best rumble to a V6 with the least rasp.

Sent from my iPhone using Camaro Zone

·
Registered
11,494 Posts
Many people claim that using stock V8 exhaust from cat to exit will give the best rumble to a V6 with the least rasp.

A stock exhaust from an FBody would be, at best, already 13 years old. There is no way I would buy a 13 year old exhaust. Especially one from the northern or high humidity States. When I had my axle back exhaust replaced (MagnaFlow muffler with new end pipes and tips) on my '01, the exhaust was horribly corroded. And it had a Flowmaster muffler (not stock?). But The "whole" exhaust was corroded and needs to be replaced on my '01. As a reference, My '01SS has been a North Carolina and Arkansas car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cat back will give a deeper sound, but paired with a high-flow cat and y pipe will provide even deeper sound and slightly increased volume.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
A stock exhaust from an FBody would be, at best, already 13 years old....
Wasn't trying to suggest that he buy one used necessarily, just to match the pipe diameter and get a "stock" replacement muffler as opposed to something like a cherry bomb if the catback systems don't suite his tastes. I like the Magnaflow on a V6, but everyone has a different opinion on what sounds "good".

I'd go for the full catback: you can get a whole system for not much more than the price of just the new muffler and tips.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Straight pipe. If you're looking for a specific sound this might not be it, but it does scare the s*** out of anybody within a 30 food radius.

Sent from my XT1060 using Camaro Zone mobile app

·
Registered
82 Posts
I recently changed my exhaust I went cheapest route I got a small 12 inch long cherry bomb glasspack and some pipe to make up the rest of the length and it's deep and rumble at low cruising rpm but when u get above 3500 or 4 it gets high pitched but for 80$ to make my car louder all I did was cutout the old stock muffler and weld in the cherry bomb

red 96 v6 3.8l camaro owner

·
Registered
246 Posts
Cams give them a lumpy sound, then just go straight headers. 👍🏻
I would definitely cam the car first then go to a 1.5" to a 1.75" diameter headers I seen some pacesetters for less than $400 1.5" diameter tubing and then maybe if you're still not satisfied go for the cat back shit if your gonna spend money on sound at least let it be horsepower to back it up trust me it's better to invest in a cam first

Sent from my Camaro Using my iPod

1 - 13 of 13 Posts