Camaro Zone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is accessing the fuel pump from the top a good method rather than dropping the fuel tank? Also, are there any posts on here or any other articles that give instruction as to where to cut the hole? Also, is there a difference between fuel pump locations on the V6 and the V8? Mine is a V6. Thanks so much for any help.

·
The "Senior" Member
18,266 Posts
The location is the same.
Here's a step by step how to: F-Body Fuel pump install

Found it by searching Google using: "Trap Door" for Fuel Pump Replacement
Amazing isn't it.:D

Reactions: Jacobnascar24

·
Slow'erAss
10,393 Posts
I would NEVER cut a hole in the body of my car.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I"ve already cut 2 holes in mine.

you get used to it.

·
Slow'erAss
10,393 Posts
That is up to you.

I am not doing it. :)

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I would NEVER cut a hole in the body of my car.
well, the only other way is to drop EVERY thing back there to get to the fuel pump.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the input though, and I can see both the pros and cons of the trap door method...I think I will go ahead and cut the hole, rather than drop the rear-end and everything.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the input though, and I can see both the pros and cons of the trap door method...I think I will go ahead and cut the hole, rather than drop the rear-end and everything.
you just have to make sure you don't go in to deep... don't want to cut the tank.
someones gonna say something about going to deep

·
Slow'erAss
10,393 Posts
well, the only other way is to drop EVERY thing back there to get to the fuel pump.
Very true.
Would rather do that. Still only took me 3 hours.

If there was supposed to be a 'door' for this....I am sure GM would have installed it.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Very true.
Would rather do that. Still only took me 3 hours.

If there was supposed to be a 'door' for this....I am sure GM would have installed it.
well they also didnt mean for people to be able to put metal gears in our headlight motors

·
Slow'erAss
10,393 Posts
Your car.
Do what you please.

I just refuse to cut the body of mine. That's all.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Your car.
Do what you please.

Oh by no means would I ever do that trap door thing, was just being the devils advocate:icon15:

·
Call me... MR. SnIpEz
8,688 Posts
Your car.
Do what you please.

Fuck that, gimme the Dremel. I do NOT want to drop the tank in a 98. Your friend MIGHTYMOUSE personally told me how much of a PITA it was on a 98 and why it was so much better to just cut the hole. The guy's a freakin fuel system genius

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Whenever mine eventually needs replacing, ill be goin with the trap door. Personally, I don't have the tools, time, or motivation to drop the tank if I can just make a little door.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just wait till you have to replace the exhaust, only a couple minutes more plus then you can get to all the rust in that un-undercoated barely primed area.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Compared to how long it takes to get the exhaust off, yea, a couple minutes. 6 nuts on the heat shield, 2 for the tank straps, filler neck slides in, 2 connectors for the fuel pump and sending unit and 3 hoses by the rear bulkhead. Once the exhaust is out of the way it's really easy.

I've already had mine out to repair the damage a mouse did to the sender wires.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts