Camaro Zone Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently did my first burnout/brake stand. I only did it for maybe 10 seconds. Lots of smoke, and it seemed cool... like a normal burnout. But I'm an idiot. I wasn't watching my RPM's because i was too worried about other cars seeing me. Especially cops. I looked at my RPM's and saw it was in the red zone. Then i stopped doing the burnout. Now, nothing seems wrong. I drove it a few hours after that and everything seems fine. Did i get lucky? Or could there be something wrong that i just haven't detected? I know it's very bad to get your RPM's that high. Is it possible to get them to like 6 or 7k and not cause damage?
(1994 Firebird Formula)

Oh, and if i ever do one again, I will definitely be watching my rpm''s :)

I know i'm an idiot, so be kind :D

·
Registered
826 Posts
It's most likely to cause damage if you hit the rev limiter, burnouts are bad for your car but hey when you have a V8 it's natural, lol
I'm sure you'll be fine, I've gotten my car up to 5K starting a burnout and eased of the brake to take off

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
1994 Bird said:
I recently did my first burnout/brake stand. I only did it for maybe 10 seconds. Lots of smoke, and it seemed cool... like a normal burnout. But I'm an idiot. I wasn't watching my RPM's because i was too worried about other cars seeing me. Especially cops. I looked at my RPM's and saw it was in the red zone. Then i stopped doing the burnout. Now, nothing seems wrong. I drove it a few hours after that and everything seems fine. Did i get lucky? Or could there be something wrong that i just haven't detected? I know it's very bad to get your RPM's that high. Is it possible to get them to like 6 or 7k and not cause damage?
(1994 Firebird Formula)

Oh, and if i ever do one again, I will definitely be watching my rpm''s :)

I know i'm an idiot, so be kind :D
Your car should be fine just watch the rpm next time

·
Registered
110 Posts
Should be fine. The optispark doesn't like getting up there for sustained periods of time, but if it's driving fine I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Yea, if something happened you'd probably first hear a tapping or clicking noise from the valvetrain. But you should be good.

For what it's worth, I've spun my LS2 up to 7,000 RPM before. I also have an LS so it's a little different than your typical V6 or LT engine. Just don't make a habit of running your stuff that high or you will be replacing parts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts